THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 17.11.2018, 16:58

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Trying something new here
PostPosted: 27.12.2008, 10:38 

OK, I will get a better photo on here tomorrow and I have sound files but will need instruction from one of you on how to post them on here because I've never ever done it before. Sorry about this but I'm stuck here at work on a Saturday @ 3:44am and I can't do any better until I get home. I've reached that occasional phase we all go through every few years and I'm going to be selling off a few sticks. I'm going to be moving soon, I'm going to lose my present job in about 4-6 weeks (with no replacement secured yet), and if I am going to remain active in the didj "hobby", I will need to sell sticks occasionally to raise cash to buy more. I know it sounds dumb, but just like with books, I grow tired of reading the same old ones and must turn over my collection from time to time. I like to think of it as "renting" sticks-- I lose money when I re-sell them, but I view the lost cash as rent-- as the mere price one pays for temporary onwership of the stick.

Below you will see a group shot of my then current collection. Viewing the sticks from L to R, I am going to be selling #s 1, 3, and 6.
#1. Badikupa Gurruwiwi, Elcho Island, Key of B, Wititj artwork in real ochre (not acrylics!), I believe this stick was made for ceremonial purposes based on the artwork-- most of BG's sticks do not have this style of art and the Madayin that Colin had is the only other one I have seen. Comes with COA and sample of sticks sound as played by B. Munungunurr (sic)
#3. Frankie Lane, Key of G, the usual Beswick/Barunga style decoration, this is a nice short (39 inches), sturdy mago with very good and very loud sound-- a "big", warm, and distorted tone, all natural bore w/complex topography, a Serious Stick mago which is the one of this grouping I most hate to have to sell.
#6. Djapilawuy Gurruwiwi, Key of Ab (high Ab, that is!), common Gurruwiwi Family Yidaki decoration, semi-large bell, bore worked and coated with glue for several inches upward while the upper and middle sections are natural, surprisingly loud for a relatively small "cute" looking stick, very-high backpressure and probably not for beginners as this high key plays a little different from the lower keys.

What I meant in the subject line about trying something new is that, rather than putting a fixed price on each of these, I am going to say "best offer over $250 USD + you pay shipping". The $250 figure applies to each stick. Everyone is welcome to make an offer and we'll see how it goes. I won't give away Inside information on other people's bids, so please don't ask-- one's offer is either the highest, or its not. To be honest, I can't think of what is an appropriate price to ask in today's economy...so I'll use this to feel out what they're worth. If any of you have been wanting an authentic ArnhemLand stick, but could'nt handle the prices, nows your chance to get a huge price break. The sticks were bought directly from the source in NEAL by the dealers and then sold to me. I've had them in my climate controlled closet for a year or two-- Items #3 and #6 were bought new and I haven't used them much as I am more a collector than a player. Item#1 was used by the folks in Yirrkala before the dealer went there in 2007 and purchased it directly from them. I haven't played it much at all as I consider it an "artistic yidaki".

I will get more, and better pics on here over the weekend and I will try to get sound samples on if anyone is serious. Please reply here just so I can get an idea if anyone at all is interested-- or if you wish to remain anonymous, you may PM me. Thanks!

Last edited by SpookyHollowSticks on 28.12.2008, 10:15, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Trying something new here
PostPosted: 27.12.2008, 10:42 

:oops: I haven't posted a pic for so long I can't remember how I did it (every forum is different it seems :oops: ) The pic I wanted to show is the group shot from the "Show Us Your Sticks" forum and my post titled Another New Toy from Serious Sticks. Sorry everyone :oops:

http://forum.serioussticks.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1092

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 27.12.2008, 11:24 

Here you go Brian!

Attachments:
phplDgRbmPM.jpg
phplDgRbmPM.jpg [ 103.71 KiB | Viewed 3795 times ]

PostPosted: 27.12.2008, 16:52 

Some of those sticks a gorgeous. The rarrk on a couple of lovely.

Dear Lord I am sick of turkey! I am doing some study and listening to Jeremy Cloake's CD (my stick is back home sadly) and reading back threads on the forum. Lots of fun, I must say.

PostPosted: 28.12.2008, 09:31 

Nice looking collection SHS. Any chance you could post that sound clip for the Badikupa B?

PostPosted: 28.12.2008, 17:51 

Clay-- I do have a short clip of B. Munungunurr playing this stick-- its on a CD. Now the question is-- how do I get the sound from the CD to this website. This is something I've never done before but now is as good a time to learn as any.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 31.12.2008, 09:25 

OK, can somebody please help me :o How do I get sound from a CD onto this forum? Clay-- since you live in the US, I suppose I could just burn the sound sample onto a CD and mail it to you-- I'd be happy to do this if you are genuinely interested, but I'd like to wait a few more days until I get an idea of whether or not these sticks are gonna sell.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 31.12.2008, 10:01 

Hi Brian,

Put the CD in your computer and save the track to your desktop or 'my documents' (or wherever you wish) as an MP3 or a windows audio file which you can then attach to a post here by adding the file in the attachment box at the bottom of your message. (Click on 'browse' and find the location of the file and then click on the 'add the file' button which will then add the attachment to your post.)

PostPosted: 31.12.2008, 13:26 

Good job Kyle, if I read your directions correctly I should be able to do that. Thank You very much for the help. Everyone please check back tomorrow...I'm supposed to be working right now :roll: , but I'll be doing another night shift tomorrow and I should be able to get some sounds online.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 31.12.2008, 17:53 

Hopefully it'll work, but if you need more detailed technical information there are plenty on here who know a lot more than me!

K

PostPosted: 01.01.2009, 08:07 

Ok here's the Badikupa B (I think). No, this is not me playing it is Barayuwa Munungurr. This sample is from the "authentication disc" -- one of the US dealers includes these along with a certificate of authenticity-- I guess these 15 second samples are supposed to be used to verify the identity of the didj...whatever.
Attachment:
01 Track 1.wma [267.59 KiB]
Downloaded 218 times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01.01.2009, 08:18 

Here is the Djapilawuy Gurruwiwi high A key yidaki. Again, just a short 10 second sample from B. Munungurr- yeah this ones even shorter than the previous. Thanks again Kyle...this turned out to be ridiculously easy...I didn't even have to save it to a folder, I just loaded it onto SS website while disc was in drive. I'm limited by the low volume of these recordings-- the guy just wanted a sonic fingerprint of each stick he sells, but the volume just isn't enough for anyone to be able to discern the fine details. I'm gonna be bombarding the site with didj sounds for a while-- I've never been able to post my own playing on here but n :bounce: w I can!!!

Attachments:
01 Track 1.wma [194.72 KiB]
Downloaded 203 times
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 22.02.2009, 20:23 

UPDATE-- All 3 sticks have been withdrawn from sale.

Profile E-mail