THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 21.11.2018, 11:51

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Any interest in yellow ochre?
PostPosted: 17.11.2008, 08:47 

Quote:
Red Sonja acrylique

Titanium white - Blanc de Titane
Yellow oxide -Jaune oxide
Red earth -terre rouge
Mars Black -Noir de Mars

Red Sonja? Mars Black?

The Jo Sonja black is Carbon Black

PostPosted: 23.11.2008, 04:04 

John-- maybe you can shed some light on this mystery. I've bought a few acrylics for touch-ups and such but with the black I always seem to get the wrong appearance. The black on most of the mago and yidaki I have is a flat, non-glossy black. On one stick it is almost a metallic black resembling the bluing on a firearm. All of the acrylics I've bought at the store look way too shiny-- kind of a permanently "wet" look. What are the folks "down under" using to get that very thin, flat black? A good example to look at are the Frankie Lanes-- the finish he uses is very thin, dull, and almost see-through. Do they maybe rub steel wool over the finish to even it out a bit and take the "fresh paint" appearance away? Or, do they dilute the paint with some kind of a thinner?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 23.11.2008, 10:57 

Brian - the quick answer is that, more often than not, Frankie Lane uses ochres not acrylic paint.

PostPosted: 23.11.2008, 23:03 

Kyle, the finish on the Lane I have isn't ochre at all-- the yellow and white parts especially. The black is more likely made from powdered charcoal. True ochre finishes that I've seen appear rough in texture almost like icing on a cake, although not so dramatic-- and they are easy to flake off just from simple handling. The finish on my Lane almost resembles what you'd get if you used magic markers on them-- very thin and almost see-through. I'll have to get some close-ups of the ochre decoration on my Roy Burnyila put them alongside some pics of the Lane. Regardless of what medium theyre using, there must be some kind of thinner involved because brush strokes and runs are non-existent. I can even see through the overlapping colors and designs.

Last edited by SpookyHollowSticks on 27.12.2008, 10:03, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 24.11.2008, 01:29 

Hi Brian

I have got some black earth pigment and as far as I can read on the label it looks like it says Vegi black , a strange name it seems??? does look a bit lke powdered charcoal though!! This will give the finish you want if you mix it with a bit of pva and some water. it looks like your artwork is just painted in a thinner mix as it appears to be a bit transparent. This black is quite dense and you need to make it quite thin if you want to "see through it". You can always dispense with the pva altogether but run the risk of the artwork rubbing off on your hands. I know what you are saying about yours being acrylic or so you think... I have just checked the few Frankie mago's I have and apart from one, none of the others appear to be ochre in fact the original labels on them when I bought them say acrylic. On these though there is a slight gloss sheen on the black artwork and they haven't been sealed because the finish isn't consistent as it would be had it been painted over with a sealer or matt varnish. One way you can tell is to dab a small bit of water on the white artwork, if it goes transparent straight away it is ochre (DON'T RUB IT THOUGH) just leave it to dry. this won't work too well it loads of pva has been put into the paint mix or if the instrument has been sealed after painting but an interesting test all the same.
Paul

Paul (ozmadman)
http://www.youtube.com/ozmadman

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 24.11.2008, 05:38 

Good information Paul...perhaps Frankie uses whatever he has available at the time. On mine, I can actually see the grain pattern in the wood, behind the paint. The finish appears very durable whatever it turns out to be.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 24.11.2008, 08:51 

Hi Brian,

Firstly, my name is Kyle not Kevin :wink:

Secondly, there is black ochre as I've got some that Dhopiya Gurruwiwi and I collected on the beach at Yirrkala. It's a common misconception that charcoal is used for black pigmentation but this is not always the case and, in my experience is far rarer than the use of the black 'ochre' rocks found in the area. Often the mago makers use whatever pigments they've got available which can be a mix of synthetic and natural materials. I think you'll find that the black matte pigment your stick is covered with is in fact ochre.

With regard to your comparison between the Frankie Lane and the Burnyila sticks, bear in mind that these craftsmen live hundreds of kilometres apart (one near Katherine and one in North Central Arnhem Land) and the resources in one area may differ greatly from those in another. The gritty texture of ochre finishes that you describe is dependent upon how well ground the stone was prior to application. You can get a very smooth finish as long as the pigment has been prepared adequately.