THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 15.11.2018, 16:31

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Soundclip Thread
PostPosted: 12.07.2009, 11:01 

Hi Paul, Just to say, there wil be plenty of really amazing yidaki at site! Just to borrow and for sale as well! So you don't have to bring your yidaki if that makes it more easy...
Greetsss and rezzzzpect,
Michiel

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 21.07.2009, 23:02 

Well i'm still buzzing from the Djalu workshops , so here's a bit of continuing practice.

Attachments:
f YIDAKI.mp3 [1.21 MiB]
Downloaded 362 times

PostPosted: 23.07.2009, 22:21 

Nice nice... Is it something you've practiced with Djalu & co. ?
The major default I hear is the 'dith' sound, which is too contemporary :wink: . Try to get a raw sound instead of a harmonic sound. I learnt this sound thanks to a workshop with J. Cloake, but it took me half a year to catch it. But what I suggest to you is to see J.Cloake face to face, this summer, and question him about this sound.
Otherwise I find your screams (or active voice :D ) really good.

Stay rock n' roll

cheers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 29.08.2009, 18:02 

Well after post Djalu practice , here's a bit of post Jeremy practice. I don't know if my brain actually takes much in at the workshops or not , but it's great to hear how you wish you [I] could play with these amazing players.
Be good to hear some other peoples stuff.

Attachments:
post J.C practice.mp3 [1.04 MiB]
Downloaded 312 times

PostPosted: 06.09.2009, 23:16 

Well here's a bit of a variation on the previous rhythm . This time played on an F# , the toot's a bit more of an effort on this little yidaki , you kind of have to pop it out a bit more.
By the way , if anyones fed up with me keep posting soundclips , just tell me . I just like to record a bit of a practice session now and again to here what it sounds like down the noisy end of the stick.
Christian and John , did you have fun at Jeremy's workshops [ silly question really ]

Attachments:
Djalu - F#.mp3 [1.13 MiB]
Downloaded 282 times

PostPosted: 07.09.2009, 11:48 

Serious fun mate ;-)

The workshops were well attended, nice bunch(es) of participants and everyone seemed very happy with J's excellent teaching.

Jeremy likes Zürich so much he's decided to stay on a few days longer.

PostPosted: 08.09.2009, 10:01 

juhu wrote:
By the way , if anyones fed up with me keep posting soundclips , just tell me .

Certainly not, Julian! Please keep it up. My apologies for not commenting more on your samples but my time that I can spend on all things didge has been very limited lately and all been eaten up by organising the workshops (which were indeed excellent and well worth the effort). I'd encourage people to post their attempts more often here as this is really the best way to get experience and to learn from each other

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 28.02.2010, 17:16 

Hi all , decided to pick up a stick and play today - for the first time since around last October.
I think I may have had a bit of didg burnout. Anyway , here's a blast on the mago , lucky I hadn't forgotten how to breathe.

Attachments:
mago f#.mp3 [1.38 MiB]
Downloaded 236 times

PostPosted: 08.03.2010, 20:29 

I've moved this into here, its another clip of me playing yidaki.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xDaPM39t1M

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 24.07.2010, 13:23 

Hi Guys

Long time no see. I've been listening this threat, which I hadn't before (silly eh?). Very cool! I used to look at it in passing but never had a laptop with proper sound capacity :)
I want to buy a mike now - can any one suggest something and cheap like the budgie?

On a similar topic - I am having timing problems, mixing different phrases together. Eg how could one go from dhid dung dhid dung to dhiddu dhirrl smoothly?

It's quite tricky.

I've come up with a little rhythm and can feel in my bones that it could work if I can get the timing to work. If I get my hands on a mike then I'll put it up. Right now I am just fiddling...

Best regards to you and yours. And manymak

dan

PostPosted: 24.07.2010, 17:58 

Hey Dan , how's it going matey .
Quote:
On a similar topic - I am having timing problems, mixing different phrases together. Eg how could one go from dhid dung dhid dung to dhiddu dhirrl smoothly?

Here's my go at it , is this wot u mean . Don't know if you would call it smooth , but I think maybe it's the natural transition anyway.
Cheers old boy.

Attachments:
Dhid dhung - dhid dhu dhirrl.mp3 [573.88 KiB]
Downloaded 296 times

PostPosted: 25.07.2010, 12:24 

juhu wrote:
Hey Dan , how's it going matey.

Hello mate! Long time no see!

juhu wrote:
Here's my go at it , is this wot u mean . Don't know if you would call it smooth , but I think maybe it's the natural transition anyway. Cheers old boy.

Nice playing dude! Not quite what I meant though, but it's not you it's my nomenclature issue. What I should have written was "drroom" or "dorro" - the double-tap sound with the retroflexed tongue.

My rhythm goes as follows, and once I have a mike I am going to post some playing up:
dhid 'n drroom drroom drroom *3
dhid dung *3
dhid dung dup dhirrl!

I can say it and it sounds like it has some nice syncopation. Playing it is a little different. Payday soon, and then mikes will be mine!

PostPosted: 25.07.2010, 14:09 

Hi Dan , don't know if you just want a mike ? Or else a very useful option , and one that is used by a fair few forum members I think , is the Zoom H4 . Here's a link to one currently on ebay , http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZOOM-H4-FIELD-REC ... 2eaea472de .
I know you said cheap , which this obviously isn't cheap , cheap , but then again possibly in this market , you do get what you pay for . And with the H4 you can use it for loads of stuff and out and about.
As for your rhtym ,
Quote:
My rhythm goes as follows, and once I have a mike I am going to post some playing up:
dhid 'n drroom drroom drroom *3
dhid dung *3
dhid dung dup dhirrl!

I'm not quite sure wot you mean by "drroom" do you mean like J.C's stuff with "dhid-dhirrl-ung dha-rong dha-rong" Your droom being J.C's dha-rong ?
Nice to chat some TRAD with you mate , C'MON EVERYBODY !

PostPosted: 25.07.2010, 14:20 

Only me. Here's another go I think this might be more like it.

Attachments:
Dans Rhythm.mp3 [347.35 KiB]
Downloaded 242 times

PostPosted: 25.07.2010, 16:05 

Hey hey!

juhu wrote:
Zoom H4
- cool man. I'll get one of them.

juhu wrote:
I'm not quite sure wot you mean by "drroom" do you mean like J.C's stuff with "dhid-dhirrl-ung dha-rong dha-rong" Your droom being J.C's dha-rong ? Nice to chat some TRAD with you mate , C'MON EVERYBODY !

Yes, it is! yeah, drroom is dharrong! See we are back to nomenclature again. Drroom = dorro = dharrong.

Nice playing by the way. That's how it sounds when I play it too. I have to find a way to sex it up a bit. It lacks flow. If you say it to yourself, does it have syncopation? Hmm...needs work on my part.

Nice :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next