THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 13.11.2018, 04:28

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Low vocals help
PostPosted: 30.08.2015, 13:18 

Hey guys,
I've been playing the didge for about 6 months now. I am getting a lot better with the dingo bark and the kookaburra but I just can't figure out the low end vocals. I hear a lot of people do a low growl and also a low noise that almost sounds like a wild boar. Any tips on how to hit those low end vocals?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Low vocals help
PostPosted: 30.08.2015, 20:35 

It is difficult to describe how to make different sound & even more difficult to copy some one else's sounds!
However I seem to remember being in a similar quandary at your stage as well!!
It all comes together in the end - although that is not really true as you will still be learning in 2 years time & probably 10 years time.
Anyway, just keep trying out things & you will develop your own special sounds.
I found it took me a year or so to get really confident with the breathing and timing & then I found I could concentrate more on developing individual sounds.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 30.08.2015, 20:52 

:oops:
:mumum:

Hey, wait: I’ve forgotten to write down my password, so I forgot about this forum? Man, I seriously lack some mental skillz…
Ironbark211 wrote:
Hey guys,
I've been playing the didge for about 6 months now. I am getting a lot better with the dingo bark and the kookaburra but I just can't figure out the low end vocals. I hear a lot of people do a low growl and also a low noise that almost sounds like a wild boar. Any tips on how to hit those low end vocals?

Funny, because most of my (male) students have the opposite problem …

Well, mostly coordination, I guess — lips, in particular. 8)
— practice[™] practice[™] practice[™] is the appropriate mantra, you may have heard of it … :D

Okay, jokes aside:
(Just to be sure: Do you really keep your basic note when you are doing »high« barks, or is it possible that you are tricking yourself to »hear« it like that?)

The low notes:
First thing that comes to my mind: It might be you are unintentionally hitting the base frequency of your didge with your voice: The resulting interferences might well kill your sound.

Second idea: Try singing a note that goes up and down, e.g. like children imitate a car speeding up and down. (If your high voice is more stable, start with a slightly higher note and go down from there). Practice this outside your didge with flapping lips as well as inside your didge with the drone. Make sure the drone remains stable! After some practice[™] you can enjoy the interferences that cause the "roaring" sound.

Hope I could help. Have fun!

Anse

PostPosted: 30.08.2015, 23:12 

Thanks guys, I'm sure I will get there with plenty of practice. I can get a really deep meditative type drone going but I can't really do anything with it yet

Profile E-mail