THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 13.11.2018, 04:31

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Comes & Goes?
PostPosted: 13.05.2015, 12:08 

Does this happen to other beginners?

After I think I have nailed circ breathing and have the drone going very comfortably and continuously for a few minutes non-stop, I come back to my didg the next day and it's like I've forgotten it and can't get it going again. :(

This has happened to me now 2 or 3 times and it's very frustrating.

Is this symptomatic of trying too hard or not practicing enough? I try to do half an hour every day.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Comes & Goes?
PostPosted: 13.05.2015, 12:28 

Hi Bilton

I could be a case of trying too hard. Like all muscles, your lip muscles must build up some stamina and strength first and also beginner often tend to press the instrument too much agains their lips which cuts off blood circulation. Just keep on playing and don't worry about an endless drone (highly overrated if you ask me :wink: ). It also might help to put the instrument away for 3 to 4 days. Your muscles and the synapses in your brain need some time to recover and to grow. You'll be surprised about how much easier your playing will be after a short break!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 25.05.2015, 10:12 

Bilton wrote:
This has happened to me now 2 or 3 times and it's very frustrating.

Give it time mate. You'll get there.

PostPosted: 28.05.2015, 08:33 

The good news is since my last post I can say I have nailed the problem. I was breathing out too much instead of using my cheeks and pumping out air while breathing inwards.

Now I am getting on top of the drone I will start on rhythms and voice.

These hemp didgeridoos cost a fortune but have a HUGE sound. The only downside is their mouth pieces have no beeswax so after a while they get slippery and you lose your mouth seal.

The store where I purchased it are going to put some wax on the mouthpiece for me so I have a better seal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 28.05.2015, 21:55 

Bilton wrote:
The good news is since my last post I can say I have nailed the problem. I was breathing out too much instead of using my cheeks and pumping out air while breathing inwards.

Good!

Bilton wrote:
These hemp didgeridoos cost a fortune but have a HUGE sound. The only downside is their mouth pieces have no beeswax so after a while they get slippery and you lose your mouth seal.The store where I purchased it are going to put some wax on the mouthpiece for me so I have a better seal.

In a few months you'll want something other than hemp mate. ;-)

PostPosted: 28.05.2015, 23:08 

Why's that?

Hemps have the biggest sound. I swear this thing booms more like an alphorn. :D

I have a standard $200 Tommy Teece as well. It has lots of back pressure and being a straight didg (no bell end) isn't very loud at all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 31.05.2015, 18:02 

I have never owned a hemp didge but I have built over 50 didges .
Some are very loud but a lot of volume comes from your own lungs & voice.
If you think of a megaphone & its shape that might give an idea of what style of didge offers a loud response if that is what you want.
Anyway, you will find a huge difference in your playing capability's in a few more months time :)
I found it took me around two years to become confident in my playing but there seems no end for potential improvement ....

Here is a loud one .....

Profile E-mail