THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 13.11.2018, 04:29

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Just starting out. Questions.
PostPosted: 26.08.2014, 14:43 

So, I have been interested in the didgeridoo for quite a while. I have a pvc one here I made quite a while back. I worked with it for a while. I got the concept of circular breathing, making my body behave at the right pace is a little more difficult. I kind of got away from it because it is too big to really take anywhere.
But I recently came across the didg-in-a-box. So I am interested again. I scoured my entire area trying to find anybody who could teach me a little. Google, facebook, myspace, I called the music stores, and I found nobody within 50 miles.
So I figure my best choice at this point is to buy a compact didge to work with, then start watching instructional videos. I don't mind paying for instruction.

So, suggestions?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Just starting out. Questions.
PostPosted: 27.08.2014, 08:31 

Hi Frank,

Welcome to the forum. Firstly, whereabouts are you? We may well know someone in the vicinity who can help out.

As far as your instrument is concerned, I suggest you stick with pvc for now. If size is an issue you can create a sliding or breakdown instrument using smaller lengths of pvc with connectors. Google pvc didgeridoo and you'll find a wealth of variations. I don't think getting a didjbox will solve any problems at present. They are okay, but not always the best sounding instruments. Experiment with different lengths and thicknesses of pvc until you know what you really get on with.

Hopefully this helps.

Kyle

PostPosted: 27.08.2014, 13:02 

Thanks for the reply. I"m in culpeper Va.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 27.08.2014, 16:41 

Hey Frank,

Kyle pinged me to let me know you were looking for fellow players. I used to live in VA, but have since relocated to Pennsylvania.

I'll have to check my notes to see if there are players in/around your neck of the woods.

Cheers,
Jason

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 28.08.2014, 15:46 

Hi frank, in fact a 4' length of 11/8'' or 11/4'' ID pvc pipe is a great way to learn!
I think that is the right size as I work in mm... so 28mm inside diameter x 100cm long is what I would recommend.
Most folk can get the basic breathing in a few weeks of one hour a day practice & then it just takes a life time to perfect :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 29.08.2014, 02:21 

I don't mind metric at all. Thanks for the suggestion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02.09.2014, 14:36 

for lessons ,, I would check into didgeridoo dojo,,, you can get a good beginners course for free. then decide if you want to continue with their paid sub. I have it. 14.95 a month and a lot of good , short concise lessons. or you could do yearly or whatever your pocket book allows. most lessons are 4-6 min. long and Sanchi is a inspiring teacher.
good luck
Steve

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 05.09.2014, 01:55 

I have finally found 1 person in this area who teaches didg. I'll be sending him an email tonight. A guy in charlottesville va.

Profile E-mail