THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 13.11.2018, 04:29

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Really? when do I need to graduate to a very good stick?
PostPosted: 03.04.2014, 05:17 

I have got the circular breathing down pretty well and am working on all the wobbles and rhythms found on the Didgeridoo Breath site for members, pretty much one at a time. I play banjo and fiddle too and guitar, I have the very best of each. Actually, I have been making guitars, banjos, violins and repairing them for others since 1981. But I am having more fun learning to play the didge than ever. No one I know around here plays, so I am pretty much on my own. I have been using several PVC sticks I made, two in 1 ½ and two more in 1 ¼ inch. I also bought a didge box, which I use in the car, a telescoping didge which plays many of the keys, and a fiberglass one that are common on Amazon and other sites.
I would like to ask if it will make a big difference in my learning if I spent several hundred bucks on either a Yucca or Agave or Eucalyptus stick. I have tested all the ones I have for volume and they are all within 10 decibels of one another, (excluding the didgebox) even played up against the larger longer and large-belled slider and fiberglass, so volume isn't going to be a big difference. I am retired and on a budget but I don't want to miss out on an advantage that a good didgeridoo might give me in learning and sounding better. What do you think? I appreciate any advice I could get. I plan to buy something from LA Outback probably. They have already answered many questions about the different types I might like. I like the way they grade their instruments by Very Good or Concert grade sound. Does that sound like a good Idea for a beginner?
Thanks again in advance.
Nice site you have here.
Steve (Mule)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Really? when do I need to graduate to a very good stick?
PostPosted: 03.04.2014, 11:12 

Hi Steve,

You seem to be fairly competent on the instrument now, so I'll give you the advice I give anyone when they ask about purchasing a new stick. Simply put, let the instrument choose you! I believe it's best to try any prospective purchase out before committing to it if at all possible. Of course this may not be possible unless you're near Palm Springs (assuming you do purchase a stick from LA Outback), and this is when you need to revert to those with more experience.

There are other factors you may wish to consider, ie. Aboriginal provenance, pitch, decoration etc, all which may play a part in your decision. This is why I suggest you do your best to try out a number of sticks before you purchase.

Hope this helps.

Kyle

PostPosted: 03.04.2014, 18:42 

kdidj wrote:
Hi Steve,

You seem to be fairly competent on the instrument now, so I'll give you the advice I give anyone when they ask about purchasing a new stick. Simply put, let the instrument choose you! I believe it's best to try any prospective purchase out before committing to it if at all possible. Of course this may not be possible unless you're near Palm Springs (assuming you do purchase a stick from LA Outback), and this is when you need to revert to those with more experience.

There are other factors you may wish to consider, ie. Aboriginal provenance, pitch, decoration etc, all which may play a part in your decision. This is why I suggest you do your best to try out a number of sticks before you purchase.

Hope this helps.

Kyle

Thanks. Actually I couldn't put it off any longer so I purchased one of la outbacks bamboo sticks made just for them. It is said to have concert quality sound and I thought it would be a good place to start. Thanks again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 03.04.2014, 21:45 

I play tenor banjo, build guitars & I live on an island with no fellow didge players... so we have a little in common :)
I bought several lovely & quite expensive, authentic diges before I started building my own split wood models.
I now own over 30 home made beauties, of course I still play my termite bored instruments but I get extreme joy from building my own.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 13.04.2014, 16:18 

mule wrote:
kdidj wrote:
Hi Steve,

Hope this helps.

Kyle

Thanks. Actually I couldn't put it off any longer so I purchased one of la outbacks bamboo sticks made just for them. It is said to have concert quality sound and I thought it would be a good place to start. Thanks again.

Profile E-mail