THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 15.11.2018, 16:32

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Wobble
PostPosted: 22.06.2013, 18:32 

There seems to quite a few techniques termed as 'the wobble' perhaps the 'Too Wah Kee' being the best known but, there are a couple of styles that seem very different?
I really like this guys style but I still cant quite work out what he is doing...is it just a very fast bounce breath with a bit of vocal or is there some integrate tongue movement involved?
In the tutorial he only seems to show a very fast one syllable beat, followed by a single breath?
Anyway it is a great sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hdoFJMHx_0

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Wobble
PostPosted: 23.06.2013, 03:54 

foxfish wrote:
There seems to quite a few techniques termed as 'the wobble' perhaps the 'Too Wah Kee' being the best known but, there are a couple of styles that seem very different? I really like this guys style but I still cant quite work out what he is doing...is it just a very fast bounce breath with a bit of vocal or is there some integrate tongue movement involved? In the tutorial he only seems to show a very fast one syllable beat, followed by a single breath? Anyway it is a great sound!

This is "dhirrl" is trad-speak mate. We could also describe it as "dorro" and "drroom". This sound has been discussed a lot here, as you can imagine. Its the noise of a sniff in and at the same time the retroflexed tongue touching gum-ridge behind the top teeth.

Threads:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=188
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=319
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=327

etc :)

Seriously, search through "playing technique" and you'll see its been discussed and discussed.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 23.06.2013, 07:50 

Thanks for the links, I am not very experienced having only started six months back but perhaps more relevant is the fact I have never in my 50 years of life seen a skilled didgeridoo player in real life!
I live in Guernsey, a small island just off the coast of France, I have never seen or heard of a local didge player so all my leaning have been via YouTube or books.
However I have been pretty keen over the last few months, practicing for at least one hour every day but I feel some techniques really need to be explained in order for me to progress!
I have managed to get the bounce breath going pretty fast & smooth & even managed the Too Wah Kee wobble! But I think my technique is poor & I would really benefit from some skilled tuition!
Anyway I have become near obsessed with the guys wobble technique linked in my first post & just about pulling my hair out trying to work out what he is doing LOL
I will read through the links you kindly supplied .... Thanks again.
Any other help greatly received .....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 23.06.2013, 10:24 

Hey Daniel don't you mean Dha-rong in trad speak? As far as I am aware there is no breath in Dhirrll.... Because dhirrll would be folowed by dha-rong, loh, dung etc. for the breath, in my opinion (wich is heavely influenced by J. Cloake and his Balanda Yidaki Dhukarr Tutorial)

Michiel

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 23.06.2013, 11:23 

MT-Yidaki wrote:
Hey Daniel don't you mean Dha-rong in trad speak? As far as I am aware there is no breath in Dhirrll.... Because dhirrll would be folowed by dha-rong, loh, dung etc. for the breath, in my opinion (wich is heavely influenced by J. Cloake and his Balanda Yidaki Dhukarr Tutorial)

Michiel

Dude, they are all the same effect but with different names. Once again, we have all had the conversation a lot, right?

M. Mununnggurr and Jc both make the same noise with different names.

PostPosted: 23.06.2013, 11:29 

foxfish wrote:
Thanks for the links, I am not very experienced having only started six months back but perhaps more relevant is the fact I have never in my 50 years of life seen a skilled didgeridoo player in real life!

I am sure you have, but check Youtube. Type "yidaki" or "mago" in it and see what comes out.

Quote:
I live in Guernsey, a small island just off the coast of France, I have never seen or heard of a local didge player so all my leaning have been via YouTube or books.

We have all been there - you tube is full, the internet is full. There are CDs - "Hard tongue" is good for yidaki. Google Phil Jackson, Si Mullumby, Djalu Gurruwiwi, Milkay Munnunggurr, Cyrung, Kyle Maplesden (lovely man who I am jolly fond of, and bloody good player)

Quote:
However I have been pretty keen over the last few months, practicing for at least one hour every day but I feel some techniques really need to be explained in order for me to progress!

Like what mate?

Quote:
I have managed to get the bounce breath going pretty fast & smooth & even managed the Too Wah Kee wobble! But I think my technique is poor & I would really benefit from some skilled tuition!

Well, I dunno who lives there, but Jeremy Cloake (NZ) gives skype lessons. He is a trad-style teacher, and has lived in Arnhem Land.

Quote:
Anyway I have become near obsessed with the guys wobble technique linked in my first post & just about pulling my hair out trying to work out what he is doing LOL

Good luck. The Interwebs are your friend.

PostPosted: 23.06.2013, 14:54 

Well I added dorro into my practice & yes, all of a sudden I can see & hear the wobble sound developing...just need to get in down now :shock:

No, I can honestly say I have never heard a skilled didge player in the flesh, sure plenty of guys practicing but never anyone who I have stopped to listen too.
The easiest guy for me to have a lesson with would be Jonny Cope who is a professional didge player in London & I will do that before long.
I have spent most of my practice concentrating on technique & very little of rhythms so far, next up (once I have conquered the wobble) will be toots! (I can remember using the same theory learning the guitar chords before I could put a tune together)
I have also gone mad building didges LOL lost count of how many I have now!
Anyway back to the wobble & thanks for the crucial help so far, there does seem to be another method using a double breath & that sound great too.
Do you have any tips on how to master this style...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jr4cPG4bOM

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 23.06.2013, 16:21 

foxfish wrote:
The easiest guy for me to have a lesson with would be Jonny Cope who is a professional didge player in London & I will do that before long.

OK. Cool.

Quote:
I have spent most of my practice concentrating on technique & very little of rhythms so far, next up (once I have conquered the wobble) will be toots!

Keep trying. Makes some rhythms, but do your own thing - practice in your own way

Quote:
Do you have any tips on how to master this style... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jr4cPG4bOM

[/quote]

Not really :)

My advice is to listen and try following along. As Kyle has said many times, keep listening along and trying things out. Besides which this is not a race, and there are no prizes. Didge is a game you play with yourself, and every so often folk compare notes. Enjoy playing! If and when you want to play a more trad style, with recognisable sounds (the "wobble" sound as I said is called drroom/dhirrl/dorro, here) there a CDs you can buy, which the guys who run this forum will be able to sell you.

Learn to breath properly - by that I mean, develop rhythm that includes breathing. "Trad style" makes use of breathing (IMHO) in a way that more modern styles do not. This wobble sound you have connected with (for example) is an "inward sound" - its a sound that is made as you complete the sniff in through your nose, as you do it, your tounge (sp?) hits your gum ridge and the flam effect (two quick sounds just about, but not quite on top of each other) is produced.

Dhid is another sound, but its an "outwards" sound - you're expelling air rather than drawing air inwards. Make sense?

PostPosted: 23.06.2013, 19:30 

Thank you for taking the time to advise me, I am perhaps going ahead with all guns blazing!
However I am enjoying the ride I have an ideal place to practice in my firehouse down the bottom of my garden although my partner now considers herself a didge widow!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 24.06.2013, 21:53 

Michiel,

There is absolutely breath in Dhirrl.

Sincerely,
Zed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 24.06.2013, 22:35 

zed wrote:
Michiel,

There is absolutely breath in Dhirrl.

Sincerely,
Zed.

LOL

earwigo again ;-)

PostPosted: 25.06.2013, 02:54 

Temptation prevailed, and I succumbed Dan...
Case closed, peace to all,
Zed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 25.06.2013, 07:55 

This is great!... I am getting into these trad sounds or is it trad language?
drroom/dhirrl/dorro = wobble... Yeah I love it, a new avenue to pursue.
Do you know of a sound clip or vid of this sound being produced within a trad rhythm?
I would love to hear this sound or effect being played by a skilled traditional player.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 25.06.2013, 09:21 

foxfish wrote:
This is great!... I am getting into these trad sounds or is it trad language?
drroom/dhirrl/dorro = wobble... Yeah I love it, a new avenue to pursue.
Do you know of a sound clip or vid of this sound being produced within a trad rhythm?
I would love to hear this sound or effect being played by a skilled traditional player.

Google "Yidaki" on google. Find the Ididj channel.

PostPosted: 25.06.2013, 09:25 

zed wrote:
Temptation prevailed, and I succumbed Dan...
Case closed, peace to all,
Zed.

Tee hee hee hee!!!

Bless you, Zed :D