THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 13.11.2018, 04:29

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Some noob questions!
PostPosted: 20.08.2012, 18:06 

Hi, I've found that just by reading this forum I know less than I thought I did about didj playing!
I'd like to get myself some tutorial CDs/DVDs. Are there any that are to be recommended? Should i get a couple of different ones to cover all bases? Which ones?How about learning all the terminology to do with didjing?
I have a question also about mouth placement. I'm a trombone player (bass trombone actually) and a brass teacher, and bad embouchures are on the top of my list to clean up! However I have found I can get a much better drone on my didj if I blow from the corner of my mouth, so my head is sideways on the the didj. I also had the pleasure of meeting someone at a folk festival this weekend whos day job is making native American flutes but he also plays didj. He also had a slight sideways embouchure. Is this bad and should I try to develop a front facing embouchure? I also find it easy to circular breath sideways on too.

Many thanks, Ben

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Some noob questions!
PostPosted: 28.08.2012, 05:19 

Hi Ben,

A lot of people play sideways including some of the western greats like Stephen Kent. There's no right or wrong as such. Feel free to experiment. I play straight on, and can't imagine some of what I do working sideways. For instance, aggressive double and triple tonguing where you can break the drone with a burst of air straight on, but I can't imagine doing that the same sideways. All my Yolngu friends also spoke about the need to play straight on for their techniques to work. But, that's just to play those styles. I'm sure there's other advantages to playing sideways that I don't know.

I'm not up to date on many tutorial CDs, but I can plug mine. :) Since barely anybody buys CDs anymore and I'm not out touring and teaching anymore, I'm selling them cheap. http://gingerroot.com/catalog/setsale.htm. The Your Didjeridu Companion series at the top there is three different instructional titles focusing on different techniques or the building of rhythms. This is all contemporary technique.

I also produced the CD Hard Tongue Didgeridoo with a traditional Yolngu master that I highly recommend. The guys here at Serious Sticks have some of the last physical copies. http://www.serioussticks.com/milkay_cd.php?language=en. We've talked about a digital edition, but the business side is complicated.

I hope all that helps!

Profile E-mail