THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 13.11.2018, 04:30

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Circular breathing
PostPosted: 07.02.2012, 04:34 

I know there are already a ton of threads about circular breathing but I'm going to ask anyway :wink: So, I have played the clarinet for years and I can easily circular breathe on that, but, when I try on the didgeridoo I just can't get it, also when I try to circular breathe on the didge my lips tighten and I end up trumpeting. Any advice???
Thanks 8) MUSTARD

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Circular breathing
PostPosted: 07.02.2012, 16:33 

The reason you're having trouble adapting your CB technique to the didgeridoo is most likely due to the difference in embouchure and the amount of pressure required to realize the technique on the didgeridoo. The principle is the same, so with practice you'll be able to do it on the didgeridoo.

The reason you're tooting during the breath cycle is due to your embouchure changing as you switch from lung to stored air. In time your lips will become more comfortable with the stages of the cycle and will maintain a more even vibration - resulting in a continuation of the drone rather than the more pronounced toot or trumpet.

Hope this helps, but keep at it and let us know how you get on.

Kyle

PostPosted: 10.02.2012, 00:27 

Just an update, I can get a great tone with a little variation when I want it, and I can consistently get three or four breaths while circular breathing then my lips tighten up again, but it's getting better!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 11.02.2012, 23:29 

Great to hear you are making progress.

Keep in mind to take a quick series of a few small in-breaths instead of trying to take in too much air on one breath. I liken it to panting the way a dog does (only try not to slobber!), but taking more in than you are breathing out on each pant, until you are topped up.

Your diaphragm should do the work.