THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 15.11.2018, 16:32

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Loud Circular Breathing
PostPosted: 11.01.2012, 21:24 

I'm fairly new to playing the didgeridoo. I started on Labor day last year, and learned how to circular breathe in 3 days. Needless to say I was pretty pumped. I'd been a trombone and saxophone player for years, so I'd thought of circular breathing as being the holy grail of wind techniques, but it's not so bad after all!

Anyway, fast forward. I'm getting more comfortable with playing now, and making more complex rhythms, but there's one unshakable part of my playing that ruins it for my listeners: You can hear me take in a great big breathe through my nose each time I circular breathe. I'll try to record and upload a sample for you to hear. I'm not "sniffing", but keeping my nasal passages as open as I can, but you can hear this big rush of air intake. I cannot bounce breathe, and think I might just be overextending myself on how often I breathe by a bit between parts of my rhythms.

One thing I do know is that I'm allergic to pollen, and I use a wax mouthpiece. Is it possible that over time my nasal passages are becoming swollen as I play? Might be a contributing factor, or just irrelevant, but it seems like after playing 20 minutes or so I have a slightly blocked nose and dry throat. I'm not getting any red or swollen lips though that'd come with an allergic reaction, so that might not be an issue.

Possible allergy related stuff aside, is this a common phase for new players? If so, how were you able to overcome this?

Thanks in advance!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Loud Circular Breathing
PostPosted: 12.01.2012, 09:40 

Hi Mirakk,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on learning circular breathing. It's really not that hard is it?

It sounds to me like you're taking too much air in too infrequently. Circular breathing works best when a tiny amount of air is inhaled (or exhaled if you're too full!) quite regularly. The important thing is to be comfortable so if it's not working for you currently try experimenting with shorter breaths more often and see how you progress.

I don't think the pollen allergy is an issue unless you're playing outside during hayfever season, so the dryness and discomfort you feel after playing for 20 minutes or so might just be from having played for such a length of time. The more you play the instrument the more your body will adapt to the playing conditions and the less impact it will have on you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Kyle

PostPosted: 12.01.2012, 12:51 

kdidj wrote:
It sounds to me like you're taking too much air in too infrequently. Circular breathing works best when a tiny amount of air is inhaled (or exhaled if you're too full!) quite regularly.

I'm absolutely with Kyle here. Circular breathing is actually a very shallow breathing (as opposed to deep breathing) - that can turn quite easily into hyperventilation if you don't include a circular exhaling inbetween.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 12.01.2012, 17:23 

Thanks for the speedy reply guys. I just started to breathe more frequently last night. I just got a new didj this week from AU, and it's been acclimating, so I only played about 10 minutes. I did notice a big difference though. Pairing more frequent breathing with trying to make sure I'm keeping my nasal passages as wide as possible is helping. Backing off the volume a bit helps too. Of course this means I have to re-do a lot of the rhythms I've been playing lately, but it's a great way to grow I suppose, and branch out in a positive way.

Thanks again!

Profile E-mail