THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 13.11.2018, 04:32

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: General advice on purchasing a genuine Yidaki.
PostPosted: 16.10.2011, 07:25 

Slowly but surely, my savings are getting closer to the point were I can purchase a genuine Yidaki. I may have to get a stick that is a little closer to the cheaper end of the spectrum, but I will stretch my dollars a little if it is going to be worth it. I was just wondering what some general advice would be in purchasing the real thing? What should I be looking for? How do I judge a good stick from, a not so good one? ps I live in Australia, so I assume my options are as optimal as possible.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: General advice on purchasing a genuine Yidaki.
PostPosted: 16.10.2011, 13:14 

Since you are in Australia :

http://www.djalu.com/djalu.html
http://www.mulka.org/
http://www.ididj.com.au/store/fine_didjeridus.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 17.10.2011, 20:36 

It's hard to give some general advice on what is a good stick...
Think about what sound you personally prefer. Dry and closed? More distorted or clear and rich in overtones? Warm or more 'edgy'? Think about what Toot you prefer, close or even exactly on the octave, a harmonic relation (3rd, 5th..) or completely off (I like those, the toot stands out!). Do you love to play slow and very expressive or prefer fast and 'pushy' play?

Each of my sticks has it's own quality. With each I have a special relationship. My preference varies with my skill level and daily mood...
There are thin walled and thick and heavy ones, they all have their special quality.

If you buy from the indigenous makers or a good shop you can hardly make a mistake.
You should definitively play it, see it for real, get a feeling for it. Then choose the one which feels good for you, where you like the painting and the sound.
I would not mail order it. You may get an excellent Yidaki but is it your's? It doesn't help a lot to hear someone else playing it. A good player can impress you with a crappy piece of cardboard tube ;) The 'Good' Yidaki is the one, which is right for your skill level and playing style. It needs to 'feel' good!

That's how I select my Yidakis...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 25.10.2011, 10:26 

The best advice I can give you is to play it before you buy it. Often the stick decides the buyer, not the other way round!

Kyle

PostPosted: 31.12.2011, 19:03 

kdidj wrote:
The best advice I can give you is to play it before you buy it. Often the stick decides the buyer, not the other way round!

Kyle

So true.......