THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 13.11.2018, 04:30

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Poor man's Yidaki for playing Hard tongue/NEAL
PostPosted: 13.10.2011, 23:09 

Hi Dideridoo friends! I'm new to DIdgeridoo and have just discovered the instrument and the styles of playing. I am very drawl to the hard tongue/NEAL style of playing and want to learn asap. The only thing is, I can't afford to fork out the big bucks for a genuine Yidaki for a couple of months, and was wondering what I could use to get a convincing sound and learn with,
I love this sound.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM76ZTFl ... re=feedlik

And was thinking of getting something like this......
http://www.didgeridoobreath.com/Medium- ... 17-891.htm

AND, I already own something very much like this....
http://www.didgeridoobreath.com/Large-N ... 2-1013.htm

Are these acceptable option for learning the NEAL style on until I can afford the real thing?. If a traditional player played through these cheaper alternatives, could they still get an acceptable sound? Thanks, Adam

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Poor man's Yidaki for playing Hard tongue/NEAL
PostPosted: 14.10.2011, 13:08 

Hi Adam

it's hard to say from the picture. The key of the instrument you have in mind is about right but the sample doesn't give us an idea about the trompet note. The relation between these two and especially, how easy one can switch from one to the other is an important factor for a good yidaki. There a very nice instruments from Western Arnhemland in F that are close to impossible to play in good yidaki fashion. Whether the instrument is suited or not depends more on the nature of it's pressure and balance (the "feel") rather than on the key alone. From the shape of the Didgeridoobreath F, I wouldn't think that it is well suited, but then, shapes are often enough misleading too.

Depending on where you live, I would recommend a good hardwood instrument with yidaki characteristics from an experienced maker (who has played some good yidaki as well) as an alternative. It will cost you abit more than 99AUD but at least you'll have something relatively close to the "real deal"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Poor man's Yidaki for playing Hard tongue/NEAL
PostPosted: 15.10.2011, 21:19 

Hi Adam,

I wouldn't go for this purchase on Didgeridoobreath. You might be upset.
To me a mandapul is really a special stick
If you are motivated and equipped try meanwhile to DYI based on pictures with local wood (if you are not in Australia). That is what I did when starting (but don't try to reproduce any aborginal painting on it :? )

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=119

Profile E-mail