THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 13.11.2018, 04:27

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Tips for beginner
PostPosted: 09.06.2010, 14:05 

hey guys , been lurking on the forums for about a week now , have to say that the information that i have been reading is awesome and has helped me with getting the hang of the didge.

so thank you to everyone for that :)

now to the point-

i have kinda got circular breathing can do it without the didge, but the transition to the didge is harder than what i thought , i find myself still getting out of breath although i am lasting longer than one large breath. So any tips to help strengthen my breathing ? should i go back to practicing with water ?

i have my drone down and sounding decent , ive read about saying "didgeridoo" and saying the vowels, which i have tried to varying success, are there any begginers sounds i should be aiming for or just keep at it with these ones.

cheers for any replies :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Tips for beginner
PostPosted: 10.06.2010, 10:06 

Hello,

for me the right breathing came all by itself. If you leave your lips on the mouthpiece and take little sniffs through your nose, you don't loose your embouchure and the drone goes on.
That's how I learnt it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 11.06.2010, 14:32 

From your question I would think your taking the breath way too late- try breathing when you've used only the first third to half of your air capacity. Lots of little breathes is a good target.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 14.06.2010, 21:53 

Hi skndarm

good to see you have got the breathing down. Like nitupsaar said the breathing will come by it's self and it will also get smoother.

as for easy sounds try saying D and flick the tounge on the roof of your mouth thats a basic kangaroo hop also rolling your tounge like a spanish RRRRRRR

Most of all relax and just scream and make up silly words and sounds I'm sure you will hit on something that sounds great.

Good luck

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 25.07.2010, 17:34 

skndarm wrote:
i have kinda got circular breathing can do it without the didge, but the transition to the didge is harder than what i thought , i find myself still getting out of breath although i am lasting longer than one large breath. So any tips to help strengthen my breathing ? should i go back to practicing with water ? i have my drone down and sounding decent , ive read about saying "didgeridoo" and saying the vowels, which i have tried to varying success, are there any begginers sounds i should be aiming for or just keep at it with these ones. cheers for any replies :)

Please define what you mean by "strengthen my breathing"!

There are loads and loads of sounds, but isn't your aim circular breathing? That being the case here are some things that will help:
- Practice what you can do - drones, vocalisations, and with the straw, as often as possible. I can't tell from what you've written if you can actually circular breath. If you can, practice that, over and over. That's the only way. Train your brain to do it without thinking, using repetition.
- Take small breaths and often. Often when people start in the early days their lungs get too empty, and they lose the drone. Breathing often "tops up" the air in your lungs.

- Try this with the didge: drone [pause] drone. Then draw a little picture: ___ ___. The underlines are drones, okay?
- Now look at this chart: __--__. Drone [cheek squeeze] drone. During that squeeze with your cheeks take in air through your nose. Now look at this one: __--__--__--__--. Drone [cheek squeeze]Drone [cheek squeeze]Drone [cheek squeeze]Drone. Each time you squeeze you're prolonging the experience.

In "contemporary" style playing, people use the breath to build rhythms (creating a "wong wong wong wong" sort of a noise) and their cheeks. This is okay as the beginning, but it's not the end by any means. Come back again once you can use your cheeks.

Best of luck

PostPosted: 25.07.2010, 23:19 

Quote:
So any tips to help strengthen my breathing ? should i go back to practicing with water ?

Sounds like a job for EXPANDALUNG !!!!!! No tongue , no cheeky .