THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 15.11.2018, 16:31

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: High Passive Voice on Dhirrl
PostPosted: 21.04.2010, 22:27 

Hi,

I have noticed that in the Yidaki style of a lot of young Yolngu guys seem to use a lot of high passive voice.
This is particularly obvious in Arnold Djunbiya's playing style, it seems that on each "Dhirrl" or "Drong", that a forceful movement in retrofelxing the tongue is accompanied by a high pitched bark from the throat, then a quick breath is taken.
This gives a sharp, barking effect to the "Dhirrl" technique which is particularly effective in fast, aggressive playing on high pitched sticks.
On practicing this, I find it difficult to alternate between low and high passive voice so quickly, any thoughts or advice on this would be appreciated.
Check out this video to see what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmQsGI_9czA

Simon

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: High Passive Voice on Dhirrl
PostPosted: 22.04.2010, 09:12 

Hey Si,

This high vocal you refer to is not passive and is quite intentional - they are in effect little barks. If you think of it this way then it makes it easier to jump between it (the added vocal) and the passive voice. Keep at it and it'll come.

Hope this helps.

Kyle

PostPosted: 22.04.2010, 09:39 

Hi Kyle & Si,

Guess we could say that the "barkings" are pushed from the belly while the PV is just a gentle humming from the vocal chords alone.

PostPosted: 23.04.2010, 13:39 

I see, my understanding of passive voice was a bit wrong. Beliving to be more or less any use of the voice.

I'm going back to basics with this, playing Dhirrl slowly and concentrating on the tounge movement and the breath, but also giving a high pitched bark and applying the diaphram. It is difficult to build up speed with this but once you can it sounds sweet.

I've noticed that the Yolgnu guys don't play the barking Dhirrl on every breath, more everyother or in a short seqence , the alternation is very effective.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 25.07.2010, 17:58 

trad-si wrote:
I see, my understanding of passive voice was a bit wrong. Beliving to be more or less any use of the voice.

I'm going back to basics with this, playing Dhirrl slowly and concentrating on the tounge movement and the breath, but also giving a high pitched bark and applying the diaphram. It is difficult to build up speed with this but once you can it sounds sweet.

I've noticed that the Yolgnu guys don't play the barking Dhirrl on every breath, more everyother or in a short seqence , the alternation is very effective.

Some how he reverses the beat as well around 0.30.It's bloody amazing.

Man has skill.

Post subject: Re: Wall Mount Rack
PostPosted: 19.01.2013, 00:26 

wallmountracks wrote:
The rack unit size is based on a standard rack specification as defined in EIA-310. The rack unit is also specified as the unit of height in the Eurocard standard, Wall Mount Rack also defines a similar unit, horizontal pitch (HP), used to measure the width of rack mounted equipment.

Standard for Racks configuration will be welded frame integrated with side panel and Wall Mount Racks vented top cover with fan mounting provision, Associated Front Glass Door with lock & Key. Front Section will be hinged to Back section with high quality hinges. Back section will have wall mounting provision. Front & Back section can be locked with lock & Key available from 6RU to 15RU Variants

the mounting holes were tapped to receive a particular type of threaded bolt. Wall Mount Rack Manufacturers are still frequently used in some government and military applications, often in conjunction with slide rails for ease of maintenance. However, it is no longer typical for frequently changed server racks, due to the possibility for the threads to become damaged or for a bolt to bind and break off, rendering the mounting hole unusable. Tapped-hole racks are still used for hardware that rarely changes, such as phone, network cabling panels, TV broadcasting facilities, studios and relay racks.

Really?

PostPosted: 19.01.2013, 05:59 

Sounds like some one is desperate for cash.
If they sold stringy bark by djalu I might care.
I did tell them to eat shit and :bom: die so I can dance on their stupid grave....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 19.01.2013, 12:08 

john bylund wrote:
Sounds like some one is desperate for cash.
If they sold stringy bark by djalu I might care.
I did tell them to eat shit and :bom: die so I can dance on their stupid grave....

John! Long time no see!

Yeah, what a pillock.

PostPosted: 20.01.2013, 18:24 

I think that young man will go far, what a player.

Profile E-mail