THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 13.11.2018, 04:29

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Contemporary to traditional ... how do you do it
PostPosted: 01.07.2009, 14:06 

Hi Kyle..Just joined up as I have a burning question which I meant to ask you at the Gathering.
I have been playing contemporary didge for 15 years and have always been fascinated by the trad style(s). People say I can practice both styles some say I will have to start all over again and need a certain kind of didge for this type of playing...so naturally I am getting real confused! I have done a few workshops with Rob and Matt and sort of understand what it's all about but just need some advice as to the best route to take. Thought you'd be the best person to ask...Cheers Jono :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Contemporary to traditional ... how do you do it
PostPosted: 01.07.2009, 14:16 

Hey Jono,

I wouldn't worry too much about the stick you're playing on for the time being. True, it might be easier to play certain traditional styles on sticks designed for that purpose but you should be able to pick up the basics on any decent stick.

As far as picking up the technique is concerned, I would suggest you get a copy of Milkay Munungurr's Hard Tongue Didgeridoo CD, Darryl Dikarrna's Mago Masterclass CD and Jeremy Cloake's Balanda Yidaki Dhukarr CD - all of which you can get from our friendly forum hosts Christian and John ( http://www.serioussticks.com/cds.php?language=en ). These great tutorial CDs will give you an idea of the basics and, importantly, provide great reference material for you on this journey.

I'll happily sit down with you at DHRF (I'm assuming you're going) and address any questions you have then.

Hope this helps,

Kyle

PostPosted: 01.07.2009, 15:33 

Thanks Kyle...I actually have a copy of Milkay's CD which I have been listening to...I will look out for the others you have mentioned also. Alas due to family commitments I can't make DHF but I'll be getting some practice in over the summer and no doubt will be be asking for guidance along the way :) Have fun at the fest! Regards Jono :)
03/07/2009 Just bought Balanda Yidaki Dhukarr CD..can't wait!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 17.07.2009, 16:49 

Hey Kyle...How long is the delivery on the CD I ordered? Cheers Jono :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 17.07.2009, 23:33 

No idea my man. Who'd you order it from? If it's from Christian and John I'm sure they'll let you know.

Kyle

PostPosted: 20.07.2009, 13:50 

Yep it was Christian and John so I'll drop them a note..cheers J

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 30.07.2009, 11:14 

Hi Kyle - Just been about two weeks with the Balanda CD and it's excellent! I am finding it really easy to follow the sounds and reproduce them (obviously some fine tuning still required) Just got two questions at the moment
The sound DHIRLL....I find that to get the exact sound I seem to be saying DEEEL even though the tongue is moving the same way and I am using diaphragm at the start as advised. Is this OK to carry on like this or is it best to stick to the original pronunciation?
The next one is simpler...DHIRRL-LO is a word I can hear in one of the rhythms..is the LO a breath in?
Told you there'd be lots of questions but it sure is good to be learning something completely new. Cheers Jono

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 30.07.2009, 12:57 

Hi... I'm not Kyle but may I try to answer ? :P

I think the "R" in "dhRill" is kind of a "rolling" R, like in Spanish.
The tongue fidgets a little bit on the palate while rolling up to the retroflex position.
This you cannot get saying "Deeel".

On the "Lo" indeed, you breath in.
But "Lo" itself is not a breath-in nomenclature.
You shape your mouth "as if" pronouncing "Lo", and this permits you to breath in using retroflex.

PostPosted: 30.07.2009, 13:53 

Hey Jono,

What Francis (Ahaw) has said is correct. There are actually two types of 'dhirrl', the more drawn out version as in 'dhirrl-lo' and the faster 'dhirrl, dhirrl' ones which usually follow the 'dhit-dhu' pattern. For these ones if you think of 'dorro dorro' it'll give you a better idea of the tongue movement and make sure to roll the r as stated above.

For the first 'dhirrl' the tongue moves back after the initial 'dh' and rolls through the r before settling on the 'l' in the retroflexed position. Bear this in mind when you practice it.

Feel free to post some examples of you playing these patterns so we can comment on them!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Kyle

PostPosted: 30.07.2009, 15:28 

I noticed that Ahaw plays a 'Dhrill' as oppossed to 'Dhirrl'.
I know the 'r' is a one letter shift, but I find the sound, practice and playing of this to be completely different. I usually see the r before i as bad habit, that results in a lazy technique. Attempt the mouthsounds, and you'll see what I mean.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 30.07.2009, 16:11 

Good one Zed ! I didn't notice myself...
Just tried to put the R after the i and it's a lot more difficult !
My tongue won't fidget... it stays still after the still-tongued vowel.
Wheras after the Dh, my tongue is already in movement, hence easier to roll and fidget.
It's not lazyness but a mistake !
But I understand it may become lazyness because a lot more easier :lol:

PostPosted: 30.07.2009, 20:11 

Wow lots of info...cheers guys! I have had a play around and sort of see what you're getting at ...
Next question..what is the easiest way to get stuff recorded so I can save some samples? I thought of just hooking up a cheapo mike to the PC and going from there? Any suggestions? I think I would benefit from you being able to hear me play and giving me feedback - good/bad - feel free :) Thanks again - Jono

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 30.07.2009, 21:10 

I record directly into my laptop's onboard mic which isn't too bad. I reckon a cheap mic is the way to go for decent enough samples.

PostPosted: 18.08.2009, 21:50 

Hi there..just been doing some playing around and have done a very rough recording of my attempts at the 'dhirrl' sound. The attached sound file is my rendition of da-dhirrl so please let me know what you think (honestly). Apologies for the sound quality! Cheers Jono

Attachments:
Da-dhirrl.mp3 [391.44 KiB]
Downloaded 581 times
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 18.08.2009, 23:06 

Hey Jono,

Just had a quick listen and it sounds pretty good. It gets better towards the end when you relax a bit but I think you're on the right track. I'd like to hear you add some more elements - maybe a harder 'dhit' or 'did' at the beginning and start to build it up.

Keep at it!

Kyle