THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 21.11.2018, 15:53

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Please help - possible crack in didj?
PostPosted: 06.01.2008, 21:27 

Friends,

I wanted to ask your opinion regarding a possible crack in a didgeridoo. I would really appreciate if you could spare a few moments of your time and let me know what you think...

The mentioned instrument is a Bruce Rogers didj (C#).

The so-called "crack" is situated near to and maybe inside the mouthpiece (i would need to strap the beeswax to know for sure).
I only noticed it recently, so im not really sure if it was there when i bought it. For reasons i will later elaborate i think it could even be a crack Bruce might have fixed when he crafted the stick.

Considering that the didj has never fallen or received any fatal blows, at least as long as it's been in my possession, im not really sure it even is a crack at all. If it is, however, im thinking it might have something to do with the weather. Even though the didj is theoretically sealed (a so-called modern instrument) - Bruce does recommend you (in the certificate/leaflet that comes with it) to oil it once annually so i reckon it could be more weather prone compared with other modern sticks. But i honestly don't know much about how he seals his instruments internally.

In any case, af far as the external finish goes, and as shown in the attached pictures, the coating seems to be very fine and "woody" that is, it's much more of a natural and thin finish compared with many other makers i've seen out there who go for the more thick glossy and shiny look.

As for the "crack" - it seems to be very small and fine and i don't think air passes through it when you play the instrument.
I've attached a few pictures of this possible "crack" (Crack 1, crack2, crack 3, crack 4) and of another point near the mouthpiece with similar features/characteristics (similar to crack, similar to crack 2) but not so much open or apart (looks similar but the wood is more integral).
(This is what brought me to think of the possibility that it was fixed when he crafted the stick). It should be noted that there exist a few other points on the didj with similar crack-like features, but the wood seems more closed or filled.

Please let me know what you think, And if there's reason to worry / need to do something to fix it.

Thanks for your help,

Doron

Attachments:
File comment: photo of a point near the mouthpiece with similar-to-crack features
similar to crack.jpg
similar to crack.jpg [ 114.26 KiB | Viewed 5341 times ]
File comment: 2nd photo of the point with similar-to-crack features
similar to crack2.jpg
similar to crack2.jpg [ 100.77 KiB | Viewed 5360 times ]
File comment: possible crack? 3rd photo
crack 4.jpg
crack 4.jpg [ 86.8 KiB | Viewed 5365 times ]
File comment: possible crack? 2nd photo
crack 2.jpg
crack 2.jpg [ 112.61 KiB | Viewed 5355 times ]
File comment: possible crack? 1st photo
crack 1.jpg
crack 1.jpg [ 122.87 KiB | Viewed 5331 times ]

Last edited by Rattlestick on 11.01.2008, 23:34, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.01.2008, 21:47 

Hi Doron

yes, the bottom 3 pictures do show a hairline crack. No need to panic yet, as cracks like these can easily be fixed. As a first measure, I'd seal the cracks with instant glue or better, "Captain Tolley's", and see if it remains stable. Sometimes, that already does the trick, but if it doesn't and it opens further after a while, you'll have to open the crack with a V-shaped chisel and fill the crack with an epoxy-glue/ wooddust mixture.
Don't attempt any oiling before you've repaired the crack. If oil seeps out, you'll have to wait a long time until it's sufficiently dry again so that the crack can be repaired.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.01.2008, 23:59 

Thanks for your response Seriouschris. I really appreciate
your help.

I will try the Instant glue/Captain tolley solution.

Honestly, i have no experience with wood repair.
If you don't mind, i'd like ask you for a little clarification just to see if i got you correctly :-

I wipe the surface clean.

I apply the glue to the crack as deep as possible and then wipe off all the superficial remains. (btw any considerations on how to minimize the
effect on the finish of the wood around the crack? i.e make the repair look the least evident)

Now do i remove the beeswax mouthpiece before applying the glue? Note that the crack apparently reaches the end of the wooden part of the mouthpiece. And regardless, i currently have no idea how deep the crack really is.

Thanks again for your help, cheers,

Doron

Post subject: Hairline crack
PostPosted: 07.01.2008, 15:47 

Such a tiny crack that it probaly doesn't even require filler! There is another glue that would just love this crack- it is widely distributed through woodworking stores. "chair Doctor" glue by Veritas, made in Canada. It dries clear.removes with a water damp cloth, set time 1 hr and overight full strength, and most important- is designed to wick into cracks. Wiping off will preserve the finish. I would take the wax off- clean all residues with any wax remover such as acetone- its worth the bother to get it right- wax wont glue!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07.01.2008, 17:57 

Thanks Warnerr!

Ill try to get my hands on that glue :)

Cheers,

Doron

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08.01.2008, 00:31 

Hi Doron

Quite common for cracks like this to appear in the mouthpiece area, thats where most the moisture is!! There is a woodworking/modelmaking glue called Aliphatic wood resin that I reckon will do the trick. It looks like pva but is a lot stronger, sands easier, is waterproof, wipes off with a damp cloth and remains flexible and evidently takes a stain!. You need flexibility with a crack repair like this. Just get some on your finger and rub it firmly across the crack trying to push it in as far as you can. If the crack is right the way through will will see the glue on the inside as it is forced through by your fingers. Once completely dry I would seal the first few inches or so of the inside of the mouthpiece with something waterproof, either pva, some more aliphatic wood resin or even or something like danish oil, which is completely water resistant (not the whole instrument just he mouthpiece area to protect it from moisture) many traditional yidaki have this done from new as a matter of course for this very reason. Leave it for about a week and oil the whole thing, that should stop any further problems.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Paul

Paul (ozmadman)
http://www.youtube.com/ozmadman

Last edited by ozmadman on 11.01.2008, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08.01.2008, 21:30 

Thanks Paul,
I really appreciate your time and help!

Actually, at this point i find myself starting to be somewhat confused as to what would be the preferred course of action :? (it's like the saying - with all these trees it's difficult to see the forest).

In any case, i should stress, as Warnerr pointed out before, that the crack really is very very small (a fraction of a mm across), something the pictures might fail to portray very well. Therefore, im not even sure if pushing the glue through the crack would work (or would it?).
This fact makes me, intuitively, tend more towards the Chair doctor solution. However, the need for flexibility sounds very reasonable and so do the internal sealing of the mouthpiece area and the oiling. I suppose i should follow through with these anyway after sealing the crack...

Thanks again for all the help,

Doron

Post subject: Repair and seal
PostPosted: 09.01.2008, 15:21 

Yes- do both. Glue the crack- you can wrap something like elastic or a length of inner tube around the mouthpiece once the glues in the crack to help close it. The advice to oil or otherwise treat the bore- especially the mouthpice zone is solid- thats where the brunt of the moisture that causes this checking occurs.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10.01.2008, 09:21 

Hi Paul

Aliphatic glue sounds interesting. I'd never heard of it. I googled quickly and found several different brands of aliphatic resins, and found out that aliphatic means "Of, relating to, or designating a group of organic chemical compounds in which the carbon atoms are linked in open chains" (rather than the customary rings).

Which brand do you recommend? I could grab some when I'm next in the UK and give it a go. And how would you compare it to Captain Tolley's ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11.01.2008, 13:31 

SeriousJohn wrote:
Hi Paul

Aliphatic glue sounds interesting. I'd never heard of it. I googled quickly and found several different brands of aliphatic resins, and found out that aliphatic means "Of, relating to, or designating a group of organic chemical compounds in which the carbon atoms are linked in open chains" (rather than the customary rings).

Which brand do you recommend? I could grab some when I'm next in the UK and give it a go. And how would you compare it to Captain Tolley's ?

Hi John

I heard about this from Guan who was recommended it by a woodworking friend of his, not sure if he has tried it though but I have on a couple of hairlines and it seems to do he trick. I haven't used Captain Tolleys so I can't give a comparison. A 500G bottle which will last me a lifetime cost £13.51 inc shipping. I purchased mine from www.deluxematerials.co.uk

Thanks

Paul

Paul (ozmadman)
http://www.youtube.com/ozmadman

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23.01.2008, 18:44 

Well, i wanted to thank everyone for all the help!

I have repaired the crack and some other cracks i found on the way and have also finished oiling the didj.
(btw - thanks for the great info on oiling on your site - Serious guys)

Unfortunately, i apparently missed at least one other VERY LONG crack (longitudinal) that runs along the center area of the didj. It's so thin, i actually thought it was sealed (it didn't seem to be a crack at all, but rather just a long dark line i thought to be part of the wood grain).
However, during the oiling process traces of oil started to leak out through it (not in very large quantities but nevertheless...).

I understand this means i can't fix it any time soon.... but is this any cause for alarm? i.e can i play the didj?
When should i attempt to fix it next?

On a different note, i'd like to ask, in general lines, is it normal to have so many cracks on a new didj? The crack i posted was an understatement of another deep crack (almost full way through the didj wall) i found in the bell end. On top of these 2 i repaired at least 4-5 other small hairline cracks in the mouthpiece and bell.

Thanks again, all the best,

Doron

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24.01.2008, 17:01 

Quote:
I understand this means i can't fix it any time soon.... but is this any cause for alarm? i.e can i play the didj?
When should i attempt to fix it next?

Yep, it's pretty awkward now. You won't be able to glue it until the oil dries pretty well, which will be at least couple of months, to play it safe perhaps 3 months or 4 :(

If you play it, you risk opening the crack even more (though it might work the other way and close it), and it will slow the drying process. The only way I can think of to glue it if you really don't want to wait is to open up the crack with a v-shaped chisel, thus removing the oily wood from the sides of the crack. Making it look pretty after that is quite a skilled job though.

Quote:
is it normal to have so many cracks on a new didj

No - but possible. Depending on how well the wood has been cured and the time of year, it is possible for a stick to arrive with several cracks. Much more common is that it cracks because it hasn't been "broken in" slowly, especially in the winter ifr you have no humidifier. Check out the care pages here: http://serioussticks.com/info.php?language=en if you haven't already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17.02.2008, 22:00 

Hey paul,

Thanks for the Aliphatic tip, I've just had a look at the interesting glue chart on the website you recommended http://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/system/index.html

I think I'll go ahead and order some Ali, do you want me to order you some too John?

Colin

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17.02.2008, 22:07 

Yes please Colin. I'll pick it up next time I'm in GB. Cheers