THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 19.11.2018, 00:33

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.08.2007, 12:23 

Quote:
is it ok to sloose out an instrument that has been coated several times in Danish oil. IE will the danish be a sufficiant water barrier or could it still split the stick.

I would think that Danish oil is accomplishing much the same thing as sluicing with water would be- that is, making for a crisper brighter tone- so why sluice?

As far as splitting goes, I'm not sure- but there's only one way to find out!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.08.2007, 13:40 

Location: England - but would rather be out sailing in the Med
I've had a bad experience of treating a bore with Danish Oil, yep the sound became brighter, but it lost all its interesting qualities. Bunged a lot of oil down the end several months later after raising the problem here - the sound improved a little, but I still does not play right. Have regretted the initial oiling ever since.

I've found a home made tung oil mix is much more effective at improving playability - again after discussions on this site.

I would echo Jason's comments above - if you have sealed the interior with Danish oil, it shouldn't need slucing with water to improve the sound quality and playability.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.09.2007, 02:18 

Here, here!!

Danish oil is recommended for outside garden furniture and from that I would presume that pouring water through a danish oil treated didge would not affect it at all. Jason's coments are dead right, no point in sluishing it with water, the danish oil has given you that effect already. On hindsight I wouldn't use danish oil again for this purpose not unless I fancied playing a didge in a swimming pool!!! I use my own mixture of tung oil, boiled linseed oil and eucalyptus oil, takes about 4 days to dry off but doesn't appear to affect the sound in any way.
Paul

Paul (ozmadman)
http://www.youtube.com/ozmadman

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.04.2008, 06:41 

back to the "too much oil" thing. . .

What would be some potentially Negative aspect of an over oiled didge? will it compromise the integrity of the hull over time? If one lives in an arid climate, would not routinely oiling your sticks be a good thing? say once a month or two?
(I'm still ignorant, so excuse me if I'm way off...)

this was just a few things on my mind... for i wish to keep my sticks for years and years to come...

www.myspace.com/kind_vapour

I Like You..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.04.2008, 07:59 

It very much depends on your didges and if/how they're sealed. If they are fully sealed, as non-traditional instruments often are, then there is no need to oil them, in fact it's a complete waste of time if the bore is sealed with epoxy for example as the oil will just sit on top.

If you want advice on a specific instrument, I suggest you give more details and if you're not sure what they're treated with, try posting a pic or two (not too enormous please) and then we'll probably be able to assist a lot better.

You might like to check out our care pages here: http://www.serioussticks.com/info.php?language=en - although they are specifically for traditional instruments, you might find it interesting reading anyhow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.04.2008, 18:43 

My Naiuwa came sealed with some linseed treatment in the bore, and a nice varnish on the outside.

I rubbed some Linseed and Lemon oil on the outside, just to see, let it soak for 30 minutes paying special attention to the bark bottom. (it looked sealed but kind dusty) so after soaking and wiping, a nice luster showed up, very shiny, much more so than before. The inside, while they said it was treated with a dash of linseed, Feels very dry. I'm not too worried about the inside of it, though ill probably treat it with a Oil blend of Tung, Euc, Lemon, Tea tree, and maybe a drop of peppermint.

Its my bamboo one that i know needs some help.
Its only been cured and varnished (single coat) on the outside, with the inside raw and dry and untreated. This one for sure will get the oil treatment. The inside is dusty almost "sooty" and i need to clean it out before the internal oil wash. I'm thinking air compressor and bottle Brushes (actually Hookah Brushes work GREAT for this)

Ill put some pics up, as soon as i figure out how to "size down" my pictures. There all pretty big... LIL

I Like You..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04.04.2008, 08:08 

If you don't have a graphics program installed on your PC, there are plenty of free online utilities which are easy to use, for example http://www.shrinkpictures.com which happens to have our maximum size of 600px as a preset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04.04.2008, 12:52 

cool i got it figured out. i just "re size" under Nero photo editor.
Thanks though!!

K~V

I Like You..