THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 19.11.2018, 00:35

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Devastation! major repair.
PostPosted: 31.03.2007, 19:46 

I've been a didgeridoo player with my own didge for over a year.

At a beach gathering last night, someone stood on my bamboo didgeridoo.

it previously had a split just less than one third from the mouthpiece end which i had bound up pretty tight with several types of tape.

it now has 5 splits going 2 thirds of the way up.

i'm currently researching this, but maybe someone can save me alot of time.

is there a specific type of wood resin i need?

is this time dependent? ie, the sooner it's fixed the more likely the fix will hold and retain more of it's orginal sound. ...?

what else is there to fixing a didgeridoo after such a catastrophe?

many many thanks to all and any assistance.

ps, thnks again for this place being here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31.03.2007, 20:20 

Hi there Digit

Well i had a few yidaki with some cracks (shhhh) and i usualy repair them with some quick drying epoxy glue .If perhaps you can send a picture maybe we can help you more precisly to repair the cracks on you didge . :wink:

GGW

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31.03.2007, 20:28 

It doesn't seem like the appearance of the didgeridoo is really a major concern since you already taped a crack. You could just wrap the whole thing in duct tape which would be a very simple fix.

I have also heard of using a mixture of pva glue and sawdust to fill cracks.

Here is a link to a japanese page with good pictures of didge repairs

http://www.avalonspiral.com/care/oteire.html

good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.04.2007, 04:05 

i've put one wrap of tape around it at the end to keep it together, to prevent further splitting and am uncomfortable fiddling with it too much until it's directly in the process of getting fixed. so the pictures wont be that telling.

i have not tried blowing through it since it split. .. ok, just the tiniest toot just now.... interesting sharp vibration....... not wanted. hehe.

looking at it again, now that i have light, i see there's only 4 splits at the bottom end, not five as i thought before, and one goes nearly the whole length, the same one i originally had taped up as before.

when i was first told about it, i was lead to think the glue required would be far more specific than now seems from all the chatter. so i could just get out the PVC and it wouldn't hurt the sound?

Attachments:
File comment: ending on an establishing shot just to confuse/irk film students. it's about 3 foot 11.
Picture 27.jpg
Picture 27.jpg [ 185.1 KiB | Viewed 5985 times ]
File comment: the heavily taped up end. think it'd work ok if i just taped the whole thing up? or better results using some kind of glue?
Picture 25.jpg
Picture 25.jpg [ 184.89 KiB | Viewed 5982 times ]
File comment: see the splits? if u can see, the one on the right (gap of less than a cm) is the one that starts from the mouthpiece and stops about 6 inches from the end.
Picture 24.jpg
Picture 24.jpg [ 182.88 KiB | Viewed 5984 times ]
File comment: me continuing to look serious while trying to show a couple splits...
Picture 23.jpg
Picture 23.jpg [ 184.86 KiB | Viewed 5976 times ]
File comment: u can just make out where i pen marked the 4 splits that reach the end. and me looking very serious holding it steady for the picture.
Picture 22.jpg
Picture 22.jpg [ 184.22 KiB | Viewed 5993 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.04.2007, 04:14 

Hi there

if you really want to stop those cracks from growing use epoxy glue .The thecnique showed on Avalon is exelent also with epoxy .

GGW

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.04.2007, 09:10 

Hey Digit,

When bamboo cracks it really goes due to the fact that the grain runs vertically. I would recommend the old Arnhem Land fix and wrap the whole thing in tape. At the end of the day you want it to play and this will do a great job as has been suggested.

If this were another material I would recommend another method of repair, but because it's made of bamboo your options are limited.

Best of luck and hope it still plays for you.

Kyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.04.2007, 09:34 

Yeh go crazy with the eletricians tape in various colours like Stans bomb http://www.didgethings.co.uk/instrument ... tm#thebomb

Do a mantzy fibre glass job on it? Bit more expensive than tpe but I guess more room for manouvre.

Kev :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.04.2007, 12:29 

Quote:
I would recommend the old Arnhem Land fix and wrap the whole thing in tape. At the end of the day you want it to play and this will do a great job as has been suggested.

Ditto. Tape the hell out of this stick, and it'll be back to a playable condition.

Jason

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.04.2007, 13:19 

Hi there

Is this is what you would do on your sticks ? perhaps he like his bamboo and still want to look at it .If there is no choice ok put tape all over it but i dont think everybody is ready to put tape on their instrument .

GGW

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.04.2007, 13:30 

If it was cracked to buggery probably yeh :D Stan's bomb doesn't look too offensive (does it?) and plays sweet :D

The other option is to stabilise and fix all the cracks and have a bamboo covered in repair marks unless you then sanded it down and did your own art work on it. My Gapanbulu stick has super glue repairs that I've left unhiden.

I know atleast a few people personally who have taped up euc. sticks and someone who is known for his fibre glass chop jobs on sticks that weren't up to his taste.

I guess it's up to the individual.

Kev :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.04.2007, 13:32 

Quote:
i dont think everybody is ready to put tape on their instrument .

Hey Richard:

The fact that Digit has already repaired earlier splits with tape suggests that this is not an issue. Bamboo's propensity for splitting along the grain makes other repairs less permanent, in my opinion. Once it starts, the crack just keeps moving with little outside help.

Jason

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.04.2007, 13:38 

Hi there

Quote:
If it was cracked to buggery probably yeh Stan's bomb doesn't look too offensive (does it?) and plays sweet

Not offensive at all :) I personnaly dont mind i have a yidaki with tapes on it just to lazy to repair it . I once told to put tapes on a cracked didgeridoo the person was just traumatize and tought i was crazy or laughing at him si now its in last resort .

GGW

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.04.2007, 13:47 

Hi there

All good Jason

GGW

Post subject: Stabalize it!
PostPosted: 01.04.2007, 15:12 

My opinion would be to stabilize the didge by gluing. I personally would bind it with straps from inner tubes while it dries to pull it tightly back together. Just a thought on reinforcing- a nice wrap of thread (whipping it) or small string, especially colored, and then epoxied or otherwise coated would add a lot of strength. My goal would be to not change the sound and yet make it resist future cracks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.04.2007, 15:58 

Cool a didge with a beer holder, excellent idea :D

Profile E-mail