THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 15.11.2018, 08:02

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: PVA IN BORE
PostPosted: 26.03.2007, 17:51 
Can anyone let me know what hapens to the sound of a didge if you seal the bore with watered down PVA and then waterproof with oil, does it immprove the resonance as it will give a plasticy coating or does it not make that much difference?

The reason for this is I have a stick which I like but is a bit dull and I have oiled the bore several times with Danish oil which has helped but not allot

Cheers

Stockie

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26.03.2007, 18:04 

Hi Stockie

I might be wrong but I can't see the point in doing both as both either will seal it.

I would say that if you've oiled it several times it's not the sealing of the bore that's making it sound dull, more likely the actual configuration of the bore, may be a tight restriction some where?

Is it a trad stick, other euc, or split wood?

I'm sure others can add to this...

Kev

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26.03.2007, 18:07 
it is a trad stick and is very tight, I have taken loads of wood off both the inside and out.

Just wanted to make it a little crisper

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26.03.2007, 18:28 

Some of the others on here have a lot more experience fiddling with sticks than me but with out seeing/playing it it's probably hard for anyone to give the best advice.

I might be speaking out of turn here :? but often trad sticks have a less bright sound anyway, is it just a different sound to that which you're used to rather than a bad sound? No offense meant :D

If worse comes to worse I guess it's not too long to Tapeley to just bring it along for the massed didgers to give their two penneth before you do any more operating :!:

Kev :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26.03.2007, 21:46 

Hi there

Question ,what style do you play on this yidaki ?

GGW

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26.03.2007, 22:15 

Hi Rich,

I think Kev has hit the nail on the head. If it's the stick I am thinking of, (The Milirrk) you have improved it vastly over what it originally sounded like. I don't think treating the inside any more will change it a great deal.

Personally, I would leave it for the moment and see how you get on with it.

Andy

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27.03.2007, 10:09 

PVA?

you sealing a yidaki stockie or plastering your living room walls :lol: :lol:

Want to brighten the sound of your favourite stick?

The Walsh top tip:

Pour a few pints of water through the bore 10mins before playing and every 30 mins thereafter

I've been using this technique on Jasons new Mago over at Kyles and it works a treat I can tell you :wink:

Paulo

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27.03.2007, 10:53 

Quote:
I've been using this technique on Jasons new Mago over at Kyles

Grrr :x

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27.03.2007, 11:04 

I would tend to agree with the above comments, erm except Paul's :shock:

If you're not getting any more brightness out of oil, then probably the stick's just like that. You could get more brightness by using a hard sealant like epoxy, but that's something I definitely wouldn't recommend with a trad stick - though as you say
Quote:
I have taken loads of wood off both the inside and out
, it's perhaps not really a trad stick anymore :wink:

I would also recommend bringing it to Tapeley and letting us have a gander - it's a bit difficult to know what you mean by "dull". If you're used to "western" style sticks with lashings of high overtones, then as pointed out by Kev, you're probably looking for a sound that the instrument wasn't intended to make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.03.2007, 02:40 

Oh yeah, that reminds me Paul, when you see Kyle would thank him again for me? Trimming that two inch piece off the bell end of Jason's new mago really helped my birthday dilema...........my wife just loves her new traditional bracelet!

Have to agree with the above comments here Stockie........

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.04.2007, 17:33 

Location: England - but would rather be out sailing in the Med
From experience do not flush the interior of your termite hollowed stick with PVA, it will kill the stick dead. I'm not that impressed with the oil approach either if the stick is for playing rather than decoration - makes it too fast for me as the friction/backpressure reduces.

As Paul suggests the best approach that I have found is to take a good mouth full of water and release it into the bore while slowly rotating the stick and repeating the process as the sound of the stick requires it.

I do not understand why wood with a watery surface should play so different from that of oil - different frictional co-efficents :?: (try replacing the oil in your car gear box with water before going to work)

I'm not brave enough to flush water down my Yidakis, western cultural restrictions, and they will split, but for a Mago with a heavily waxed finish, its the mutts n*ts, as they say.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.04.2007, 18:36 

Quote:
I'm not that impressed with the oil approach either if the stick is for playing rather than decoration - makes it too fast for me as the friction/backpressure reduces.

Now this is quite unusual, Paul- to my own ears, a freshly oiled bore plays remarkably similar to a water-sluiced one, generally adding some brightness and crisper response.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04.04.2007, 10:55 

Location: England - but would rather be out sailing in the Med
I recently used Danish oil in a stick and experienced this result. Was this a bad choise of oil?

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04.04.2007, 11:16 

Quote:
Was this a bad choise of oil?

I've only ever used pure tung oil and citrus solvent, so I can't really comment.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15.04.2007, 21:49 

Danish oil has chemical driers, Tung oil does not have them.

Therefore Danish oil will dry to a hard finish near the surface of the wood whereas Tung oil will penetrate much deeper, especially so if the first coat is slightly diluted with white spirits. Tung oil will therefore closer approximate the effects of watering a yidaki before playing (without causing it to crack)

Best,

Colin

Profile E-mail