THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 21.11.2018, 15:54

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Heartbreak, major crack on a new yirdaki
PostPosted: 10.03.2007, 20:28 

Hello all, I just had a major heartbreak. Two days ago I recieved a Manany Gurruwiwi yirdaki with extensive artwork. I tried to be reserved and not play it too much. I think I played for about 5 minutes on the first day and probably about 15 minutes total in small bits on the second day. This morning I went in to play just a little bit and it made a horrible buzzing sound and I could feel air on my hand. There is a pretty big split in it, it starts about 20 cm down from the mouthpiece and runs for 17 cm in two parts and is about 3mm wide the painting has pulled back in a few places, along the crack but not completely.

I am wondering two things, first off is this my fault? Should I have let is sit for a few days without playing it at all or was it inevitable?

Second and more importantly, what can I do now. I don't want to harm the artwork but I also don't like the idea of having an expensive, non-functional yirdaki either. The bore is very tight, so there would be no way to fix it from the inside. I suppose the only fixes will hurt the artwork, but the way it looks the artwork is going to be splitting too very soon, so I am thinking maybe I would rather have a bit of mucked artwork than an unusable stick. What can I do now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10.03.2007, 23:24 

Sorry to hear about this, but it does happen. Whether or not it's your fault or not is debatable. The fact is it's a piece of wood that gets subjected to major changes in temperature and humidity and sometimes this happens.

Again I'll refer you to Ed Drury - I know Ed has some experience in repairing instruments with major damage and reckon he'd be a good port of call. The artwork might be fixable after the repair has been done but you've got to ask yourself if you'd rather have a great playing yidaki or a nice looking stick that doesn't play!

Worst case scenario, but authentically Arnhem Land in style is to tape the stick up!

Keep us posted of events and maybe post some pics of the damage for us to see as perhaps some alternative solutions will then become apparent.

Kyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11.03.2007, 01:54 

In addition to the great advice that Kyle has provided, I would also contact the seller. A badly cracked yidaki this soon after purchase....quite unfortunate and doesn't seem to be a your fault, though it's impossible to know for sure. Perhaps a replacement can be offered.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11.03.2007, 02:07 

I would definately contact the seller. Many will allow an exchange or give you some form of credit for your next purchase.

I would be happy to look at your instrument and recommend some fixes. I have repaired many contemporary instruments and a handful of cracked Yidaki.

It is really quite simple to stabilize the cracks and fix them. My partner is an artist, both by trade and education and she would be able to repaint the affected area.

I would seriously consider oiling the bore after it is repaired. Many people have had good luck with a slow break in period to season the wood. Already too late for that in your case...

The trouble is the wood can sit for a very long time before it gets into your hands. Getting very, very dried out. Then the eager new player fills the inside with moisture, the wood expands, then shrinks as it dries. The outside is not moving at the same rate and wham you have a crack.

A light, penetrating and natural oil will seal and condition the wood, drastically minimizing cracks. It will brighten the tone a bit, though once you play in a non-oiled instument, your saliva essentially does the same thing.

My Yidaki is cracked as well. I have simply smeared beeswax into the crack and it has worked well for going on 10 years. It requires occaisional maintenance but works fine on small cracks. I keep meaning to permanently fix it, though since it functions fine as is, I just have not got around to it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11.03.2007, 16:21 

Hi there

Quote:
about 15 minutes total in small bits on the second day.

New yidaki just hate small bits on the second day :wink:
This is sad but it happen .Yidaki are cuted green and are not cured for a year like didgeridoo maker do . Its like hollowedsound just write easy to repair , i tell ya i have like 16 yidaki and did repair a lots of cracks and all kind ! So dont be to sad your going to get your yidaki back playing like nothing happen . The first thing to do is to send a photo here before doing anything that you are not to sure of the result .Or perhaps you already have a freind who knows how.

GGW

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.03.2007, 07:07 

Thanks for your advice guys. I contacted the seller and they were very nice and willing to take it back for exchange. I think thats what I am going to do, its a pretty good crack and a good portion of it is still covered by paint. I would rather start off with more structural integrity, at least for my first yirdaki.

Attachments:
IMG_0001s.jpg
IMG_0001s.jpg [ 167.72 KiB | Viewed 5934 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.03.2007, 07:39 

argh.... that's a very bad crack :cry:
may i give you several care advices for your next yidaki??
1. try to buy when isn't winter, the climate change is very stressful
2. oil your instrument the same day it arrives (or ask to have it oiled before leaving, an even better option)
3. wait at least a week after oiling before playing

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.03.2007, 08:52 

To me, it looks like the crack is along the sides of a patch where the patching material meets the wood. That often happens when instruments are exposed to a different room climate and as the aftermath of a transport. As saldali mentioned, a transport during winter time can be risky. You'll have to make sure that your room climate is OK as well. Check http://www.serioussticks.com/care/humid ... anguage=en for details and general advice about yidaki care. A crack like that is best repaired as can be seen on http://www.avalonspiral.com/care/oteire.html (well, it's a pictorial unless you can read Japanese)

Oiling is a good idea but not until you're absolutely sure that there are no hairline cracks that leak oil. The oil will damage the artwork more than the crack-repair job, so make sure the oild doesn't run down the stick on the outside when oiling.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.03.2007, 10:55 

Good page Christian, thanks for that.

Kev :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.03.2007, 19:42 

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Wow. Extremely nice of the seller to offer to exchange your stick.

I'm sure it need not be said again but as tempting as it may be to try that baby out when a new stick arrives - let it get aclimated slowly to your own environment without playing it much (if at all for a while). Then set a timer if you have to and play it just a minimal amount each day for the first week ( people may disagree but I'd say no more than 5/10 min max ) - then SLOWLY increase your playing time with a regular schedule over the next few weeks. Cracks happen - but this schedule can really help reduce the possibilities. The links mentioned above are all excellent resources for this situation. Ben also has a great pages ( http://www.hickssticks.com/didge_care.html ) as well as refering to earlier posts on this.

Best of luck with your next aquisition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.03.2007, 20:01 

Next time I probably won't play at all for the first week, and only with caution and paranoia after that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.03.2007, 20:03 

Certainly not as much fun - but might make all the difference :wink:

Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.03.2007, 20:08 

Some yidaki crack, and some don't-- if you own enough, you will definitely eventually deal with a crack.

I am a big proponent of oiling the bore, as it will both add some stuctural stability and reduce the rate of moisture loss in the bore. It's also the least invasive of any treatment and will only negligibly affect the acoustics of the instruments when wet. Of course, the best solution is to own enough yidaki that any single stick doesn't get played too often ;)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.03.2007, 20:36 

Hi there

Quote:
Next time I probably won't play at all for the first week, and only with caution and paranoia after that.

Thats what i did with the latest who just got in end of january and he rock tha house since :wink: Its harder to do if this is your first yidaki .i also like yidaki who show they have a life . good luck

GGW