THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 21.11.2018, 15:53

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.04.2007, 16:35 

Location: England - but would rather be out sailing in the Med
Hi Kev, facinating picture, and that's a massive constriction you eventually had to remove. I would be interested in having a good gander at the finished stick and to hear how it plays after the work.

Interesting question about the sound quality. I was playing the Bob B Mago then decided to give Margaret a play. I think I prefer sticks that resonate, with thin walls that you can play off when droning/playing. The repaired stick is still fairly solid, but has a good size bore, as seen from either end. Most players would find the mouthpiece too large, but that how I prefer them these days. I'm not sure at this stage which sticks are coming with me to Tapeley other than a couple of Magos and a Yew Scottie.

I will experiment more seriously this evening using a variety of diffent vocals/voices in the drone and see how it responds.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.04.2007, 16:51 

Bear in mind also Paul that the instrument may well sound different to those hearing it than when you're playing it yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.04.2007, 17:05 

You also might want to bear in mind that there is a certain 'directionality' in the acoustics of yidaki vs. mago.... this may account for something here.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.09.2007, 16:54 

Well Margaret had a nice rest since she was previously discussed here. She was one of two sticks I took to the Jeremy Cloake Yidaki Workshop where she performed poorly. Jeremy managed to get a reasonable rhythm going with her, describing her playability as reasonable (I think he was being polite), but said she appeared a little constricted.

I decided recently she was no longer a playable stick and that further intervention was required, so with a small coping saw I cut her in half lengthways this weekend and have started to gouge out the bore to enlarge her voice and make her resonant and playable. For your interest I have included a few images of the stick, before and after some remedial work.

You can clearly see my work from earlier in the year to the big end on the left - work we can now see was really ineffective in improving the bore, considering the massive constriction where the termite bore twists just left of centre. The area along from the mouthpiece, the first 15cm, which includes the earlier repair, is a maze of termite hollows and channels - soon to be sorted with Milliput.

One side is now complete, but not in the photos - the main difference so far is in the weight. After a thorough gouging to an even thickness of about 1cm, the stick surprisingly light.

I will keep you guys informed as she progresses.

Paul

Attachments:
Margaret-split-z.jpg
Margaret-split-z.jpg [ 19.74 KiB | Viewed 2203 times ]
Margaret-split-closeUp-z.jpg
Margaret-split-closeUp-z.jpg [ 29.64 KiB | Viewed 2205 times ]
Margaret-split-rework1-z.jpg
Margaret-split-rework1-z.jpg [ 18.19 KiB | Viewed 2205 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.09.2007, 08:59 
wow drastic work dude hows it looking at the mo and would love to see it next club

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.09.2007, 10:34 

She is all gouged out and waiting for the eBay epoxy resin supplier to deliver the goods :evil:

Eucalyptus is such a good close grained wood to work with, not a difficult task, maybe two or three hours, excluding initial cutting time, which was a real bore.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.09.2007, 14:25 

Quote:
The area along from the mouthpiece, the first 15cm, which includes the earlier repair, is a maze of termite hollows and channels - soon to be sorted with Milliput.

Out of curiousity Paul, why are you planning on smoothing out the channels and hollows with Milliput? I imagine that this would provide much of the tone 'color'.

Last edited by flyangler18 on 12.09.2007, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.09.2007, 15:08 

:lol: I may be wrong jason but isn't that the whole reason for the thread that the bores are too close i.e. in danger of breaking out?

I think like you say though, there's got to be a balance between filling and presumably smoothing all and only filling ones that are an issue.

Kev

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.09.2007, 15:21 

Quote:
I may be wrong jason but isn't that the whole reason for the thread that the bores are too close i.e. in danger of breaking out?

Maybe I misread, but I thought that part of the repair had already been carried out. Guess we'll have to wait to hear from KanGo about this.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.09.2007, 15:34 

Longdog wrote:
:lol: I may be wrong jason but isn't that the whole reason for the thread that the bores are too close i.e. in danger of breaking out?

This is indeed how the thread started Kev, but Paul's recent posts are about opening up the constricted bore on that beast of a yidaki he got from Colin, the patch work having been dealt with earlier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.09.2007, 15:42 

Sorry Jason Doh!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.09.2007, 15:45 
Hi All

I have a stick which was my first and was very very heavy and have taken bits out of the bore over a number of months/years to open it out and even planed the outside down to try to get it to resonate but it still seems dull and flat not very responsive and I think possibly restricted.

I would have no objection myself cutting it in two but would it be worth the effort as I like the art work I have repainted it with but it doesn't seem to play I'm confused as to what to do with it. :cry: :x :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.09.2007, 15:47 

Quote:
Sorry Jason Doh!!

A rap on the knuckles will do. ;)

I am curious to see what Paul has in mind with the Milliput concerning the throat of this instrument.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.09.2007, 15:51 

Hi Stockie

Do you want to play it or look at it :?: :wink:

There lies the answer :lol:

Any way if you painted it yourself I'm sure you could do it again, may be even with something that is significant now?

By the way are you making the trip Norf for the NDC?

Kev

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.09.2007, 15:59 
Hi Kev

not going to be able to make it as im skint £300 on new glasses :cry: and cant get a lift going on Fri night coming back on sunday :cry: as for the stick

I do want to play it and im a bit scared that I will nack it up completely wish I had acsess to one of those cameras to go up inside it to have a look :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :la:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next