THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 19.11.2018, 00:32

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.01.2007, 15:08 

I reckon you could make a concrete didj quite easily by using 'concrete fondue' - I used to use it in art school. It might require a wire framework but you could make relatively thin walls I should think. Staniel - a new project for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.01.2007, 15:15 

Hi Kev,

Interesting way of doing it. Did it work out OK soundwise?

I am considering cutting one in half lengthways to sort of the sound, but wasn't sure if it would improve the sound enough to warrant it.

Andy

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.01.2007, 15:25 

I join two bits of mallee lengthways reinforced using three long thin brass nails placed in holes drilled into the wood and araldyte. It works really well.

Rob Mantz has several sticks that are chopped, chiselled and rejoined. This one of Rob's that i usually bring along to Tapeley is like that...

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... 1392842824

You need to be a member of Myspace to view it.

See Rob's website for more details...

http://robmantzdidgeridoo.mysite.wanado ... page6.html

didgethings . . . . Myspace . . . . Youtube

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.01.2007, 15:29 

kdidj wrote:
Staniel - a new project for you!

Ant's got me a nice small piece of laburnum for a mago type stick for my next project. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.01.2007, 15:29 

It improved the sound dramatically but you know didges, no two are a like. If I had a bandsaw to do it length ways I'd have done that instead as you've got total ontrol then over the bore.

I'm still planning to get Clare to knit me one that I can cover in resin, just a big holey sock really :shock:

All the best

Kev :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.01.2007, 16:59 

Thick dishcloth cotton is very good for crocheting if you want something quite firm. The smaller the needle the firmer it becomes. You could easily crochet a didge from it that will hold its shape quite well while it's solidified with resin. Knitting it would probably be a bit looser, but really small needles should firm it up enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.01.2007, 22:00 

kdidj wrote:
I reckon you could make a concrete didj quite easily by using 'concrete fondue' - I used to use it in art school. It might require a wire framework but you could make relatively thin walls I should think. Staniel - a new project for you!

Let me add to the soup....
A brief history of concrete canoe racing... http://www.uah.edu/student_life/organizations/ASCE/Articles/YoungHistory/Youngarticletext.htm
This paper presents some of the most interesting steps followed by the Canadian team from Laval University in developing a high tensile strength, lightweight concrete for the construction of their canoe. This mixture was used in 2004 by the Laval University Concrete Canoe Team, http://www.uah.edu/student_life/organizations/ASCE/References/LavalArticle.pdf
Bendable Concrete
http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/003155.html

one more thing, taking a cotton ball and cutting it into small pieces then adding the cotton fibers to a mix of epoxy glue helps with sagging problems when patching things.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Paul
PostPosted: 06.01.2007, 20:14 

[quote="KanGo"]The stick is still progressing.

Hi Paul,

Great work on that super cheap stick I sold you, highly impressed with your fine expertise!!
Hope to see you at Kent Didj Club in Jan.

All my very best,

Colin

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.04.2007, 11:04 

Location: England - but would rather be out sailing in the Med
I thought you may be interested in the final stick:

Its a pity about the shine in the photograph of the final stick at the bottom, this is caused by the halogen lighting in my workshop, the stick actually has a reasonable matt finish to the paintwork - made from water, PVA and natural pigments.

I am disappointed at how small a voice she has despite having a good wide bore. Sound clip once oiled.

Paul

Attachments:
margaret_1_103.jpg
margaret_1_103.jpg [ 16.44 KiB | Viewed 2780 times ]
58_PartShapedStick_2.jpg
58_PartShapedStick_2.jpg [ 4.09 KiB | Viewed 2783 times ]
IMG_0027crop.jpg
IMG_0027crop.jpg [ 58.54 KiB | Viewed 2781 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.04.2007, 14:16 

Looks good, you bringing it to Tapeley? What vegetable colouring are you using??

I've just started a new birch stick, long, skinny and cylindrical, hopefully come out with some nice mago properties. Won't be done for th weekend though.

Kev

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.04.2007, 14:24 

Does have a nice shape indeed and it's a pity that the sound can't keep up with the appearance. My didgemaker and sound physicist buddies tell me that all the sound is in the bore shape, though, and apparently there's not too much one can do on a termite stick (except taking the Longdog chirurgical approach) if it doesn't sound well.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.04.2007, 14:26 

Describe the voice on this one, Paul. I've come across a few yidaki that have 'internalized acoustics' that does take some getting used to, but I've been told are appreciated by Yolngu.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.04.2007, 14:37 

Remind me when we're at Tapeley and I'll show you some pics on my mobile of the interior bore of that one I split and you'l see why it needed such drastic action. I can't up load them but if you PM me your mobile no. I could send them on.

May be Jason is right with your's Paul and it is just a new sound to get to grips with?

Kev :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.04.2007, 14:46 

Quote:
May be Jason is right with your's Paul and it is just a new sound to get to grips with?

I've played a couple that the young Yolngu kids loved--- compressed and stuffy, even a little nasally. Took me a while to appreciate them, but I actually seek these out now.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.04.2007, 15:02 

We have the technology :lol:

I'd already opened out the bell area before resorting to splitting (as you can see) could see it was blocked but couldn't reach. The second 'bubble' from the left is where I'd previously cut the didge across to chisel out to left and right, improved the sound but I could still hear and see it wasn't right

These were the worst restrictions in the stick, there were more which meant that for all it played fine with toots etc it was just really muffled and just not right.

Got to say it was a real eye opener to look at the termites work close up, amazing. When I opened the bore with the abortech I actually got sparks off the wood!!!

Kev

Attachments:
chop didge.jpg
chop didge.jpg [ 90.85 KiB | Viewed 2766 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next