THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 19.11.2018, 00:36

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.11.2006, 13:17 

Good to hear it's worked out. I believe Frank used a bicycle tire innertube when doing this for strength and due to it's length. Perhaps try that next time... if indeed there is a next time!

Kyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.11.2006, 13:22 

Location: England - but would rather be out sailing in the Med

These images were a decent, but considerate size, but the upload function here limits images to 550x300 which is too small.

Well I got someting to work after all :?

Interestingly I now notice from this last image that the stick still needs more taken off around the mid section to produce a continuous taper.

I will keep you informed.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.11.2006, 13:36 

Funny how one of the biggest fights in this forum is to reduce huge pictures and now that you make a detailed one it gets "uselessly" small, ehehehe :twisted:

Quote:
believe Frank used a bicycle tire innertube when doing this for strength and due to it's length.

I like that idea, I will destroy one of my didges just to try that!

ehehe
All the best

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.11.2006, 13:38 

Hi Kyle, I agree with you on the bicycle tyre, a good length plus the pressure. Still it was (kind of) fun to use the other option.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.11.2006, 14:51 

Nice looking repair there, Paul! I'm glad that it worked out well. Now I have a procedure should I ever encounter a similar problem!

And I rather like the sinewy shape to that stick- leave it alone ;)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.11.2006, 11:07 

That sinewy shape did not exist before I started reshaping the sick, it looked originally like an old lolly pop with the top fourteen inches much as it is now, then one great lump sticking out followed by a largely unworked(ie thick, heavy and unbalanced) lower section. Be assured that the present basic shape will remain. I was just considering taking maybe half an inch off the mid section so that the slowly tapering shape of the stich was continuous along its twisting length.

For those who may be interested this was originally a Margaret Ganambar stick playing in Eflat. I've still a long way to go before the final tuning, and reworking of the mouthpiece, however I may just leave the key it as it is.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.11.2006, 11:18 

I found a pic of it in its earlier configuration:

Attachments:
margaret_1.jpg
margaret_1.jpg [ 16.44 KiB | Viewed 2998 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.11.2006, 12:14 

Well, it does look a little unbalanced and unwieldy in its original form. Despite its clunkiness, how does this stick sound, pre- and post-surgery?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.11.2006, 13:09 

Nice to see the original again - it was a monster!. There was another flowery paint job under the one shown.

Here is a sound file from the same place. It appears Colin has more than one site.

http://www.colindidj.com/new/margaret_1/margaret.mp3

When I'm happy with the reworked stick I'll upload a few tracks. The paste takes a good few days to fully dry and I am building out the inside of the mouth piece.

I will add that I bought the stick, at the right price, in the full knowledge of its failings with the intention of reworking it - I have found eucalyptus to be a nice easy wood wood to work with and needed another winter project. I would certainly buy from the seller again, 'at the right price'. 8)

Paul

Post subject: great save!
PostPosted: 30.11.2006, 15:13 

Amazing to see your befor and after pictures- a very resourceful save. It makes me want to look twice at some offerings I have seen. The new unpainted look puts the origional didge to shame! The pictorial did well at showing how you did the repair. Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.12.2006, 23:01 

Hi Paul

any update on the reworked stick? How does it play and look now?

Christian

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.01.2007, 13:39 

The stick is still progressing.

I was disappointed that the initial work may have improved its appearance and made it playable however there was not much improvement in its sound quality. The lower half was basically dense wood so I might as well have been blowing through concrete! I started to gouge out the big end fairly soon after my last post but an accident with the mallet and my left hand slowed down further progress until yesterday when the interior was finally gouged out to a half inch thickness. I can now get my hand inside to a depth of about eight inches.

The sound quality has changed considerably for the better and has a nice resonance.

I'm now considering whether to reduce the density of wood in the middle section that cannot be reached from either end. I would bore lead holes in the wood to monitor the thickness in the same way that the Indians of Central America do when constructing dugout canoes.

I will try and post some more pictures and a few sound files.

Paul

NB - Its all hard work and it might be easier in future to just buy a stick that I'm happy with and that requires only minor mouth piece adjustments. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.01.2007, 14:47 

Nothing wrong with concrete...

Quote:
Numerous demonstrations have been given within thecommunity of professional flutists. On several occasions,Coltman played on a concrete flute behind a screen and theaudience was completely unaware.

This from...

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:tw ... =clnk&cd=6

didgethings . . . . Myspace . . . . Youtube

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.01.2007, 14:56 

Hi Paul

I actually cut one of mine in half where I judged the constriction to be, chisled it out each way and glued it back together. It's held fine so far, though I guess a couple of biscuits or dowels wouldn't have been a bad idea just in case.

All the best

Kev :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.01.2007, 15:06 

Loretta wrote:
Nothing wrong with concrete...

AFAIK, a fellow crazy didgeridoo scientist from Israel was planning on building a concrete didj. I think he even managed to make one but I can't remember where I read it. I guess it was on the Mills list or so

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next