THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 21.11.2018, 15:51

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Termites bore too close to outside surface of reworked stick
PostPosted: 28.11.2006, 11:01 

Location: England - but would rather be out sailing in the Med
I recently bought a very poorly worked eucalyptus Yirdaki with the intention of treating it as a “blank” and reworking the shape and interior to try and achieve something decent. With a spoke shave the instrument has slowly taken shape, with the odd hole being filled with a PVA and eucalyptus sawdust mix.

The reason for writing this is that I now have an opening about eight inches down from the mouth piece where the termites have bored very close to the outside of the stick. The opening is about an inch and a half long by maybe an eighth wide.

What is the best way of dealing with it?

Should I enlarge the hole and plug it with a reasonably shaped section of Euc?,( this end of the stick is very narrow and parallel) or try and push my sawdust paste down the mouth piece? – (the opening is clear but it would be tricky to see clearly where the paste is going) Then again I could use epoxy, either inside or out.

I do not feel happy with any of these options and as this must be a fairly common problem with Yirdaki construction there may already be a well tried method of resolving termite channels breaking through to the surface.

Thinking about it now I am tempted to try the paste down the neck option, which is going to be a pain, and then maybe rework the interior - however I would appreciate anyone elses thoughts on dealing with this problem before proceeding.

Thanks

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.11.2006, 11:15 

Hi Paul,

You could consider inserting a long balloon into the throat of the instrument and then inflating it until it approximates the diameter of the bore at the section with the hole. Then fill the hole with the sawdust/glue mixture and wait until it sets before deflating and removing the balloon. A small bit of the balloon may adhere to the mixture so perhaps you could use some sort of barrier cream (vaseline?) on it to keep this from happening.

Post some pics of the stick in order that we can share in your restoration work.

All the best,

Kyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.11.2006, 11:32 

Hi Kyle

Well there was no way I would have come up with that suggestion!

The more I think about the balloon option...I may well give it a try :D I could then tease in the paste from outside the hole, rather than down the mouth end. The ballon could hold the paste against the inside wall nicely.

Thanks

Sadly I did not take any before pictures of this stick, recently bought from a well known London seller, who may have a picture.
I will try and upload some in its present condition.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.11.2006, 11:33 

Hi Paul

My personal recommendation would be to use a sawdust/Araldite mix, using sawdust the same colour as the wood around the hole. Use plenty of sawdust to stop it being runny. Procedure: find a bit of something which you know Araldite won't bind with (various types of plastic sheet for example, test in advance) which is considerably larger than the hole. Insert this into the bore using a stick or similar, so that the inside of the hole and a generous area around it are covered from the inside. Now (tricky bit) try to arrange the stick so that it will keep the plastic behind the hole until the filler is dry. It's good if the seal isn't too tight so that a certain amount of your filler can ooze out sideways and bond to the surrounding wood inside - otherwise the plug may well just fall out sometime in the future, especially with thin walls. Then apply your filler generously from the outside, leave to dry, remove stick/plastic. To be sure the plastic is going to come out, best fix it to the stick somehow first - it can happen that folds in the plastic allow the filler to grip it anyway.

Good luck !

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.11.2006, 12:36 

I can't find a link right now but on one of the Japanese sites, they use a piece of fiberglass matting to cover the larger hole, paint the fiberglass matting with common epoxy and then build up some material on top of that with epoxy putty. The whole thing is sanded and smoothed out a bit until the transition between the wood and the fiberglass/epoxy part is no longer visible. Once repainted, it looks really natural. The good thing about this method is that it prevents the material from entering the bore too much.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.11.2006, 15:15 

Bah! Spent ages writing my reply before and now noticed that in the meantime, Prof Maplesden beat me to it.
Great minds think (almost) alike. Nice idea with the balloon Kyle, assuming you have a long sausage shape model that goes far enough down the bore and you don't have sharp prominent termite groove walls near the hole :lol: . Do you use PVA? I have a feeling Araldite would glue the balloon. Certainly solves the fiddling with the stick behind the hole to make it stay though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.11.2006, 15:22 

I can't take full credit for the balloon idea I'm afraid as it's the genius idea of my friend Mr Thill!

Araldite gets really hot when curing and could be a problem due to that and it's adhering to the balloon as you mentioned. Best to try it out and see what happens! Let us know how it goes Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.11.2006, 15:29 

Quote:
it's the genius idea of my friend Mr Thill

Sounds like one of Frank's ;)

Paul, do keep us posted on your restoration!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.11.2006, 16:20 

Hey guys, I like the balloon idea for some cases. One easy way to prevent the balloon to explode in contact with the hole (some times there sharp edges) you can put some duct tape on the balloon in a place where you think it will be at contact with the hole. Since the balloon is elastic it won't grow where the duct tape is but but to the other sides and it will most ceartainly grow healthy inside your didges.

Either way I like Chris's idea best.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.11.2006, 17:19 

If you put parcel tape on the bit that is likel to be in contact with the adhesive and spray it with furniture polish an expoy resin won't stick to it.

Kev

As for the balloon, doesn't take too much imagination to think of something long thin and lubricated that you can blow up :oops:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.11.2006, 17:27 

Hi guys, I'm feeling a little more confident now about how to fill in the termite chamber.

I thought the Araldite sounded good, but for the warming process and its affect upon the balloon. The fiberglass option would definitely work - I have just recently "renewed" the forward oak stem fitting on my wooden sloop using the West System - once painted, no one else knows! But for the stick, I will know, and there would be a slightly raised area near the mouthpiece.

I have already filled out some deep chambers just inside the mouth piece with the PVA/sawdust mix. Those epoxy nipples that some people fit to the end of their sticks just don't do it for me :?

I think it will be the PVA mix with a balloon, if I can get one thats long enough.

Thanks guys, I will let you know how I get on.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.11.2006, 17:42 

Hi Kev......something for the weekend sir? suggested itself to me too and may well be a good option - probably more accessible than an ordinary balloon.
Two conundrums(sic): 1) explaining to the nice lady in the chemist why I need the extra strong version 2) explaining to the wife why there is a .... :shock:

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.11.2006, 19:22 

Quote:
Araldite gets really hot when curing

Mine doesn't seem to get any more than a bit warm. You mean Araldite rapid or the overnight job? I use the latter. But then it's a Swiss version, not actually called Araldite - though it behaves and smells the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.11.2006, 13:15 

I'm going to do this in three posts because i cannot get this thing to work!

Hi, I had a busy evening yesterday. The Condom/balloon option was a complete failure. The Condom was disgusting to work with and too small to reach the opening from inside before inflating, which too was unpleasant.
I also tried using a latex glove, but again the insert needs to cover the inside area to be patched before it’s inflated. So Prof Kyle, 10 out of 10 for ingenuity, but minus 15 for pure function. Not surprisingly I tried the other option suggested by SeriousJohn. A length of one inch by a quarter stick wedged in against the inner side of the hole gave me sufficient room to fill. An easy job with a small electrical screwdriver used for packing out both ends of the hole. The stick itself was covered with duct tape and removed this morning.
I might add that I have spent far more time on the attached presentation, than working yesterday on the repair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.11.2006, 13:17