THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 21.11.2018, 15:54

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.09.2007, 16:04 

Ouch, could get another stick for that! Clare's glasses cost a fortune due to her perscription and she can't get away with contacts.

Speak to Colin. He has one or get some others to play it and get their opinion first. The thing is if it does play crap now, wil it play any worse afterwards? I doubt it.

Kev

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.09.2007, 16:59 
I would agree having four eyes is very expensive and I'm in agreement with Clare cant stand the idea of contacts besides the glasses makes me look intelligent.

I also get what you mean about it playing any worse need to have a re think might try and record something and post it to see what people think

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.09.2007, 17:12 

Location: England - but would rather be out sailing in the Med
The reason for using filler, as Kyle remembers - and I will now use ordinary wood filler (for flexability), rather than Milliput - is that the termite channels on one side of the stick run very close to the surface. The line of one of these channels can be seen from the outside and is about four inches long. You could break into it from the outside with your fingernail. So I’m using the filler to provide extra strength in this area of the stick and no where else.

Jason, be assured there are still plenty of rough un-sanded gouged surfaces within the stick to provide vital tonal interest. :wink:

I’ve learned a lot from working on this stick so far, the main lesson is that with out cutting the stick down the middle for reworking as above, the only real effect from any other work will be cosmetic (It’ll look better) and probably psychological (It’ll make you feel good).

Gonna glue it this evening! 8)

Paul

PS: Stocky, don't cut that stick of your up just yet, let's see how this one works out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.09.2007, 17:38 

Quote:
Jason, be assured there are still plenty of rough un-sanded gouged surfaces within the stick to provide vital tonal interest.

Excellent :) I take it you are building up from the outside?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13.09.2007, 13:37 
Hows the stick looking Paul and on a similar note has anyone here every used "No Nails" to stick a split stick together and if so how was it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13.09.2007, 15:59 

I have used No nails when fixing the joints on a flight of loose stairs - cheap and cheerful, appears to have worked.

I'm using two part, 30 minute, clear epoxy because I've no room for error and only a small quantity is required. I think its the best. If its ok for Ant Scott, then its fine by me. (I have four of Ant's sticks and the epoxy on them is holding up well)

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13.09.2007, 16:12 

Quote:
I have used No nails when fixing the joints on a flight of loose stairs

Your a braver man than me Paul!!!!!!

I have trouble getting that shit to keep skirting boards on the wall!!! Let alone a stair case

No more nails my arse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14.09.2007, 14:30 

Just waiting for the epoxy to set before getting into playing properly. I did give her a play this morning with the constraints still in place and she sounded very very promising. Silky smooth transition from drone to horn tone and back, but really need to test for the all important low down grunt after some initial warming.

Sound files soon!! :D :D 8)

Paul

Attachments:
Interior work finished.jpg
Interior work finished.jpg [ 90.84 KiB | Viewed 2220 times ]
Stick secured.jpg
Stick secured.jpg [ 103.39 KiB | Viewed 2229 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14.09.2007, 14:47 

Is there any termite work left Paul?

It's quite a hybrid now!

Standard jubilee clips work a treat and are cheap and light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14.09.2007, 17:23 

Very nice photos kango, thanks for those :)
Judging from the new bore shape, I expect your going to have a great stick, with a fairly loud but pretty quick response. What pitch is the "new" stick?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14.09.2007, 18:47 

nice job Paul.
how long did it take to tighten all those wire clamps,I would be afraid the glue would harden before you finish clamping.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17.09.2007, 11:33 
Hows it looking and sounding now Paul has it worked and to others who went how was Northern Didge Camp

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17.09.2007, 14:46 

Just a quick update.

When applying the epoxy I used a stopwatch to ensure I was keeping within time. Working against a thirty minute set time it took twenty minutes just to apply it to both sides, before fixing the top and bottom retainers then evenly filling in between them - the whole job taking forty five minutes. After a few days, a solid test playing and sanding down, the join appears to be excellent and visually non existent.

The stick now plays in G, not much good for the more interesting slower rhythms, but it rips nicely when played fast with dups, dhirrks and the longer overtones.

Hi Kyle - if I were going into production I would certainly use jubilee clips.

Paul