THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 19.11.2018, 00:34

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: crack repair on mouthpiece
PostPosted: 23.11.2006, 17:33 

just got a new Burrnguburrngu today and there's a hairline crack at the mouthpiece. this is my first yidaki so i have never oiled one before. just wondering how i prevent it from spreading. i have read all about sealing and oiling on this and other sites, but i'm thinking it could be a problem because it is right on the end of the mouthpiece. is it ok to oil right to the end - don't think i need to use wax for the mouthpiece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24.11.2006, 14:47 

dylan

I used superglue for the same problem some years ago, and it still is ok. To let the glue soak in better I widened the edges of the split very careful with a sharp paperknife. There may be a better solution than superglue, but it worked fine for me.
I should mention that this didgeridoo is not painted.

Herb

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.10.2007, 16:53 
Hi Guys

I have a similar problem to this but one of the cracks goes all the way through but it is in fact a plain unpainted didge (Mil*&^) and was wondering what a good fixing suggestion might be normally I would open up the crack with a chisel and then use either a 2 part epoxy or wood glue mixed with saw dust and the re paint what would be the best solution to get it to blend in after it has gone off any suggestions would be lovely.

cheers

Stockie

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.10.2007, 17:09 

Stockie, just glue the crack with standard PVA and bind the instrument until it's cured. This should hold it and won't leave any discolouration on the stick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.10.2007, 17:16 
Cheers Kyle

Do I need to open up the crack a bit more and what should I bind it with any suggestions (gaffer etc"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.10.2007, 17:29 

I wouldn't open it up as it's gone all the way through. You want to reattach the bits that have separated so don't mess with them. Squeeze the glue into the crack and then bind to apply pressure. You could use wire or string or a jubilee clip to do this. Tape might leave a residue and not allow the glue to cure quickly. Have a go! Worst case scenario you cover the stick in duct tape Arnhem Land style!

Kyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.10.2007, 20:27 

PVA glue and a clamping ought to do the trick, Stockie. But I like the Arnhem Land style taping solution too!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23.10.2007, 14:44 

Hi there

Quote:
PVA glue and a clamping ought to do the trick, Stockie. But I like the Arnhem Land style taping solution too!

Simple easy they make good grip and you get back playing on your stick right away . :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.10.2007, 02:33 

stockie wrote:
Hi Guys
I have a similar problem to this but one of the cracks goes all the way through but it is in fact a plain unpainted didge (Mil*&^) and was wondering what a good fixing suggestion might be normally I would open up the crack with a chisel and then use either a 2 part epoxy or wood glue mixed with saw dust and the re paint what would be the best solution to get it to blend in after it has gone off any suggestions would be lovely.

cheers
Stockie

Hi Stockie

For future reference, repairing an unpainted stick where you have to fill a gap: I have had good success staining the sawdust to match as best I can with a wood stain before mixing with the epoxy and then slicing as much excess off as possible before it sets hard. PVA rubbed into a mouthpiece crack has worked well for me but I ensure I seal it on the inside as well, at least for the length of the crack with a harder waterproof sealer like danish oil and then PVA the exterior in that area as well. if the instrument is matt finish then buy an acrylic matt varnish and simply paint it over the PVA!! I would then oil the whole inside with tung oil or similar to help prevent further cracking. Do not use danish oil for the whole interior as that will alter the sound too much but for the 2 or so inches down the mouthpiece I can think of no better protection and it dosen't go white with moisture .

PS: I have recently discovered a PVA based WATERPROOF woodglue made by EVOSTICK this is supposed to be stronger than the wood itself and will also stick underwater!!! but not had the situation to try it out yet, sounds just the job. no need to fear cracks again!!!

All the best

Paul

Paul (ozmadman)
http://www.youtube.com/ozmadman

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.10.2007, 17:14 

Location: England - but would rather be out sailing in the Med
I recently had to fix a hole that appeared in the side of my newest acquisition, an older Djalu yidaki. The hole was near an earlier fix in an unpainted section with a natural deep heartwood colour. Solution? epoxy wood repair mix, max strength, mahogany coloured. Expensive, but easy to use. Gave it a slightly raised finish, and then lightly sanded the repair down before buffing up with wax. Result - indistinguishable from the surrounding wood.

Paul

Last edited by KanGo on 30.10.2007, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.10.2007, 23:01 

Was that Djalu a recent e-bay purchase per chance Paul?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.10.2007, 12:26 

Hi Paul

Yes it was - I bought it about a month ago. Its a big bugger, even for a Djalu, and took a long time to take up sufficient moisture to play comfortably. It still takes a while to warm up, but I am very happy with the stick and have no plans to alter or oil it in any way.

Nice for those deeper, slower, Yolongu rhythms.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.10.2007, 12:34 

And here's a pic of it!

Attachments:
TL - Djalu D.JPG
TL - Djalu D.JPG [ 10.88 KiB | Viewed 3657 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.10.2007, 12:42 

Its the same stick - but the paint work had been extensively retouched when I bought it.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.10.2007, 12:45 

It's a nice stick if I remember correctly. Classic 'Big Djalu' sound. It'd be nice to see it again - perhaps you could bring it to The Gathering!