THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 21.11.2018, 15:54

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Talking of ochres...
PostPosted: 07.09.2006, 16:13 

Just wondering why Buku-Larrnggay Mulka don't sell packets of ochre?

Surely some of the kids could use some pocket money for collecting it, if nothing else? And throw in some traditional brush making stuff with it.

Or am i missing something?

didgethings . . . . Myspace . . . . Youtube

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13.09.2006, 10:02 

Am i being ignored?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13.09.2006, 11:21 

Loretta wrote:
Am i being ignored?

not by me mate..........not sure what to say...except I met a guy called rick roser who came over two summers ago and brought over buckets of the stuff to sell...while he toured schools and festivals.....he had to gain permission from his elders not just to sell it but to also collect the stuff too......his community were right behind the idea.....

rob

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13.09.2006, 12:18 

Sorry, Rob. The questions were directed at Randy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13.09.2006, 12:21 

Loretta wrote:
Sorry, Rob. The questions were directed at Randy.

no sweat dude but it could be a permission thing?? some communities will not allow the collection and see the selling as a big no no....well thats what rick told me anyway...so dont quote me :D

rob

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13.09.2006, 12:41 

Who would do such a thing, and to a lady too :roll:

:D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13.09.2006, 12:43 

Maybe it is a permission thing, but i specifically asked a question about Buku-Larrnggay Mulka so i wouldn't mind getting an answer directly from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13.09.2006, 23:37 

Sorry Stan,
I honestly just haven't looked in on the repair section in a while. When I was still indoors working on my thesis all the time I was on this forum a lot to procrastinate, but now I'm trying to get outside! And maybe next time put my name in the subject to call my attention to the thread if it's directed at me.

Basically, we just don't tend to have a lot of ochre around and when it is around it's in demand here. Same reason we don't sell many bilma, really. They're not made for resale often (no matter how much I've asked), and when we have them, Yolngu want them. We also don't generally like to deal with selling small things overseas due to our remoteness, expense of post, etc. If we did look into it, we might then run into the problems mentioned before... cultural stuff. The best yellow is from Gumatj land south of here, and represents blood and/or fat of Gumatj ancestors. Only red is easily available right around Yirrkala. I've heard less proprietary statements about red, but know it's for some Dhuwa clans. Selling this sutff as a commodity might not go over well. Plus, while it is obviously fine for yidaki buyers who need touch ups on these more utilitarian items that sometimes need repairs, selling ochres might raise some eyebrows in the art world where Yolngu art must remain seen as something that non-Yolngu hands wouldn't be messing with.

That's just a few issues off the top of my head. I have on occasion gotten small bits to customers who needed them, though, if we had a bit to spare.

Last edited by Milawuy on 14.09.2006, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14.09.2006, 01:40 

Just a few more thoughts floating around my head, which is moving on to the more philosophical reasons after considering the practical.

Buku-Larrnggay Mulka is a community business charged with a few missions, the main public one being the promotion and sale of art from this region, crafted by the artists of this tradition. That's a big difference from being an art supply shop that sells the tools of this tradition to other people. Again, I personally see it's a different, more practical issue when it comes to yidaki repairs, but the larger philoshopical issue outweighs that.

One other closely related issue is that another main mission of the art centre is support and encouragement of traditional practices, of course including the production of art & craft. We are not a mining company, in the business of selling natural resources from Yolngu land. It's the same reason we don't sell yidaki "blanks" for people to finish, which I get asked about from time to time. We sell the finished work of Yolngu artists who are learning and practicing their traditional culture. And they are not traditionally lumberjacks or rock collectors. So paying Yolngu to collect resources from their land to sell them to outsiders sends the wrong message, both to Yolngu and to those outsiders.

Of course, you could extend that to the fact that older practice of the traditions didn't including selling and shipping to outsiders, although as I've said before, they did have an economic system that money is now integrated into, sometimes well, and sometimes poorly, and a ot of Yolngu have spoken about including outsiders in Yolngu systems. As with all things, there's grey areas and change, and Yolngu are choosing new paths.

Of course (number 2), ochres do not only exist in Arnhem Land. They can be found all over the world. And you certainly have the materials to make Yolngu style brushes in your own community. You just need some straight human hair, a stick, and some fine string to attach said hair to said stick.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14.09.2006, 08:19 

Thanks Randy, makes a lot of sense. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14.09.2006, 08:34 

yep