THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 19.11.2018, 00:37

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Dubious artwork removal and oil/varnish of didj
PostPosted: 19.08.2008, 21:18 

Hello folks, i am sanding my didj of dubious artwork :twisted: and am then thinking of either oiling or coating with a "natural" varnish. The didj is made from bloodwood, I do like the idea of oil and maybe someone might be able to direct me in the type or mix of oil i should use. Would also be nice to find a natural clear sub-gloss/matt varnish? i could use to protect it, help much appreciated. Matt :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dubious artwork removal and oil/varnish of didj
PostPosted: 19.08.2008, 21:25 

Last edited by cyberdidg on 21.08.2008, 12:01, edited 3 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 20.08.2008, 21:06 

Will send you some recordings when i have had plenty of practice, i certainly need plenty anyway, so dont wait up :lol:
So could anyone recommend me a natural varnish or oils to treat my bloodwood didj please?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 21.08.2008, 00:34 

matts ere wrote:
could anyone recommend me a natural varnish or oils to treat my bloodwood didj please?

Hi Matt

I recommend Danish oil for the outside, put it on with a rag, its very thin and gets into the wood , will need about 4 coats with a final sanding before the last coat but a lovely finish and totally waterproof. For the inside I would use pure tung oil if it hasn't been treated at all, if it has, and it looks like it may have been then danish oil the inside as well. I wouldn't recommend either for a trad instrument because danish oil tends to brighten the sound a bit and there is no need to use this on the outside as many trad instruments are ochre painted and it will ruin the artwork and those that are acrylic are often sealed with pva by the artist. If I must seal the outside of an acrylic painted trad instrument then I use a flat matt acrylic varnish that is virtually undetectable and keeps in with the finish of the original artwork.

Paul

Paul (ozmadman)
http://www.youtube.com/ozmadman

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 21.08.2008, 05:12 

matts ere wrote:
Hello folks, i am sanding my didj of dubious artwork :twisted: and am then thinking of either oiling or coating with a "natural" varnish. The didj is made from bloodwood, I do like the idea of oil and maybe someone might be able to direct me in the type or mix of oil i should use. Would also be nice to find a natural clear sub-gloss/matt varnish? i could use to protect it, help much appreciated. Matt :)

Hey man ,I have been doing this tung oil thing over 30 years and remember this is nothing more than my own opinion.Pure tung oil all by it self is the only way to go,inside or outside.
Having said that let me say that linseed oil goes rancid.

Oh, I forgot to mention it takes for ever for tung oil to dry.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 21.08.2008, 11:55 

Thanks folks, im thinking that maybe i will use the Danish oil as it dries quickly and acts as a varnish, i dont like the idea of the tung oil taking ages to dry properly. I have read the repair and maintenance section on oiling/over-oiling and this really supports my decision with using the Danish oil. I am not sure what the didj was originally coated with although it does feel slightly tacky and has quite a satin/glossy finish, any ideas? :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 21.08.2008, 19:37 

me personally, (and im still a noob, technically) would use the 100% pure tung oil. it has to be the 100% pure one. dont buy the minwax crap @ walmart. i dount there is even any tung oil in it. but yes it takes for ever for the tung to dry, but i live my it. i would say use the danish on the Inside, but thats just me. i like the brighter sounds verses the muted grit of trad sticks.
but just make sure to get 100% pure tung oil. i bought mine onlin from real milk paint dot com. cheap, and will last you forever.

G-luck!

www.myspace.com/kind_vapour

I Like You..

PostPosted: 21.08.2008, 21:31 

I'd use a hard woodwax for the surface and wouldn't bother too much with the the inside as it's probably sealed anyway.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 23.08.2008, 01:09 

matts ere wrote:
. I am not sure what the didj was originally coated with although it does feel slightly tacky and has quite a satin/glossy finish, any ideas? :D

Might just need a clean, years of greasy sticky fingers???? or could be PVA, that can feel a bit tacky especially if your hands are a bit damp or the instrument is in a really humid environment

Paul (ozmadman)
http://www.youtube.com/ozmadman

Profile E-mail