THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 21.11.2018, 15:52

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Cracked Bilma
PostPosted: 28.06.2008, 20:39 

This one developed a hairline crack while sitting unused in a closet. The problem is that the crack runs almost the entire length. I never intended to use these for players, so the only logical explanation is that the wood was improperly cured when worked (worked green in other words). I'm doubting there's much I can do but thought I'd ask if its possible to fix this. Thanks.

Attachments:
phpO2XfGKPM.jpg
phpO2XfGKPM.jpg [ 433.17 KiB | Viewed 2048 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cracked Bilma
PostPosted: 28.06.2008, 22:32 

I wouldn't worry about this unless the crack goes all the way through and the stick separates. The sound shouldn't be compromised and sometimes cracks like this move back together in time.

PostPosted: 28.06.2008, 23:17 

Thanks K, I don't know how deep the crack goes and I'm not really sure if it has affected the sound since I never really played them before it appeared. Hopefully they will go back like you said, but the crack has been there since last summer :?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 29.06.2008, 00:02 

Hi Again

I have exactly the same thing with a set of Bob Burruwal sticks like yours, they were cracked when I bought them from Manningrida Arts but too costly to send back, I have purposely played them quite a bit over the last 6 months or so to see how they would fare and the crack has not altered at all. So as Kyle said, don't worry too much.

Paul

Paul (ozmadman)
http://www.youtube.com/ozmadman

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 29.06.2008, 15:18 

Hi there

I got from Kyle a set of Ambrose Cameron and received them with a crack larger than this one and it never move more or affect the sound .Afterall this is wood .I dont think you should worry ,enjoy them.

GGW

PostPosted: 29.06.2008, 17:24 

Interesting GGW, the fact that you and oz also had this problem makes me think cracks might be common. I know that a few of the vintage Bilma I've seen for sale online say hairline crack but does not affect sound. I'm trying to think of all possibilities here-- maybe the wood is being worked before it has cured, leading it to contract later on and crack, or maybe it is a property of the species of wood--it may be hard, strong, and heavy, but perhaps its shock resistance is low.

Profile E-mail