THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 19.11.2018, 09:06

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: New topic
PostPosted: 04.06.2014, 08:18 

Would like to bring back a bit of life in this great forum, but dunno where to start!
In my opinion the trad. world is a bit quiet lately... But some topics could always use futher discussion!
Like the current situation in Miwatj with the mine and all that...
Michiel

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New topic
PostPosted: 04.06.2014, 09:10 

I agree. Even though it's quiet on here these days I still login religiously to see if anything's been posted. A lot of the discussions have moved on to other social networks (facebook etc), but this place still holds a special place in my heart.

I do wonder what's going to happen in Gove once the mine is gone. No more regular flights from Darwin or Cairns perhaps!

Kyle

PostPosted: 06.06.2014, 09:02 

Hopefully Airnorth wil keep their line open...

And true there is alot on facebook but it all goes down the timeline so quickly...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 07.06.2014, 09:18 

Same feeling here. There isn't a lot of places on the Internet where you can talk about traditional didgeridoo, the serious sticks forum is one of the few that's left...
I login daily to check if anything new has been posted, I'm also saddened by the stillness of the forum but I don't know where to begin either.

I'm very active on the french didgeridoo forum where I write regularly messages and reflections about traditional style of playing, I may translate some to share them here with you. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 07.06.2014, 23:34 

I think that topics are also connected to events happening here.
Lately there was not much not see as " aboriginal event" in Europe.
The last one I remember was Djalu family Tour in 2009.

I guess it is not a piece of cake to invite 2 or 3 black fellas and organize a tour for them...some of you on this forum surely know about it and share ?

May be what we miss (for sure what I miss) is a kind of gathering more dedicated to traditional...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 08.06.2014, 14:59 

Agreed.
And despite its name, the Rêve de l'Aborigène festival doesn't seem very motivated when it comes to invite people from Arnhem Land. The organisers clearly prefer to have to deal with more "classic" aboriginal dance troupes from other regions of Australia.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 11.06.2014, 11:08 

Yeah I would love to see more traditional groups on those festivals... I Always have the feeling that the one wouldn't have to exclude the other... They could go hand in hand very well...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 21.06.2014, 00:34 

Big surprise - traditional groups are harder to arrange and more expensive to get from their remote locales. It's a shame, but true.

QANTAS is indeed pulling out of service to Gove but Air North is surprisingly taking up the slack by beginning to offer flights to Cairns. It'll probably be their smaller planes that earned them the nickname Scare North, but at least the area won't be quite as cut off. I'm more concerned about hearing what's happening with the grocery stores and the barge service that supplies the whole town - and of course provides the means for yidaki and other art to get out of Yirrkala. All in all, it's going to be quite the upheaval and the end of a way of life that was forced upon the region. It's a sad irony that the children and grandchildren of the people who brought up the first ever land rights case in order to prevent the mine from coming 40 years later found themselves in the position of pleading for the refinery to stay.

Profile E-mail