THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 17.11.2018, 17:01

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Rippling LED lights
PostPosted: 03.01.2014, 21:22 

Hi, everyone! First post here.

I took up the didgeridoo about a year and a half ago, a plastic lightweight one from Woodstock Percussion. I look forward to posting here in the future.

So what's on my mind right now? I've begun to notice something strange and a little mind-blowing when I play didgeridoo. Whenever I play, and I look at an LED light display, like on a clock or timer or space heater, something that displays those digital numbers, they RIPPLE. Yes, they move, perhaps dance about independently of all physical matter around it.

What's more, they ripple independently from one another. What I mean is, if there are two numbers, say a 5 and an 8, the 5 will gently move up and down while the 8 moves down and up, if that makes sense. And it is directly correlated to the frequencies I'm putting into the didge. This happens to a lesser extent when I sing low, too. I happen to have a very low voice; I can go down to the second C on the piano on most days. So this only happens on low frequencies. Some, but not all, Christmas lights have responded to this rippling effect.

What I want to know is: has anyone else noticed this? If so, could you explain it? It seems surreal, almost supernatural to me. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go play didge and look at a digital clock, and report back, pronto!

All the best,
Dan

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Rippling LED lights
PostPosted: 03.01.2014, 22:16 

Hi Dan , are you sure your breathing ? sounds like oxygen deprivation . or :drunken: ??????

PostPosted: 03.01.2014, 22:30 

juhu wrote:
Hi Dan , are you sure your breathing ? sounds like oxygen deprivation . or :drunken: ??????

Har har. Did you try it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04.01.2014, 21:24 

I had a similar experience when I first started playing, but in that case it was the TV that seemed to move in waves whilst I was playing my stick. I reckon your eyes end up vibrating and it creates an interference pattern that creates the visualizations. This doesn't happen anymore so perhaps one's body becomes accustomed to the vibrations.

Kyle

PostPosted: 07.01.2014, 22:42 

See!??! I'm not crazy! Cool, I should try it next time I'm near a TV.

How's this for a theory: If you could get the TV itself to vibrate like a didgeridoo, would everyone watching it see the waviness?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 08.01.2014, 10:08 

No, in order for it to work the receptors (your eyes) need to be vibrating. If they're not then the interference pattern won't be created.