THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 19.11.2018, 09:07

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Where all the didj people at?
PostPosted: 03.11.2013, 14:51 

I'm sure this topic has been done, but I have been wondering where everybody is at? Over the years I have watched the forums and websites but it seems that everybody but a few have stopped selling and talking about yidakis and didjs. Kinda sad if you ask me. Not really sure what the topic I was aiming at, but hope somebody will start talking.

Here is a good second question. Who is your favorite didj or yidaki maker and why?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Where all the didj people at?
PostPosted: 03.11.2013, 22:47 

Hi Mike !

I am still a newcomer in the wonderland of didgeridoo (I've been blowing the dronepipe for 2 years), but it's a phenomenon I have noticed in the French community of players too. I asked that very same question to several professionals (famous players, crafters, retailers of traditional instruments...) and they all feel the same : didgeridoo knows a slack period these last years, compared to the huge effervescence of 2008 - 2011.
And it's especially true for the traditional aspects of the didgeridoo : lots of yidaki/mago retailers have stopped selling because trade with aboriginal people is complicated ; people want an easy care instrument so they won't buy a traditional one... And most of the french players are into modern playing style, they're not interested much in traditional techniques and culture.

It's a sad situation... but like any trend, it's cyclic and I'm sure it will get better one day.

Mike wrote:
Who is your favorite didj or yidaki maker and why?

DidgElement makes a wonderful job : very aesthetic crafted-to-measure instruments with a nice round and rich drone (not the usual "high overtones" timbres of lots of modern didgeridoos with a varnished bore). The crème de la crème of the comtemporary split didgeridoo, to my opinion.

Concerning the traditional instruments, I can't say I have a preference for one maker or the other. They all have their own distinguishable touch which makes their production interesting...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04.11.2013, 18:21 

I own about 30 didgeridoos & although I like to show off my termite bored authentic didges I hardly ever play them as I find the narrow necked, long diges with a large bell are more fun to play!
I do love to hear a nice big bore eucalyptus didgeridoo being played but to be honest after playing contemporary instruments for the last few years, I just find traditional didges quite difficult!
This is my favourite at the moment.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nKyJZ0l0u4

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 05.11.2013, 12:53 

Hi Utnapishtim,

I agree with you about there being slack years and I hope it doesn't stay that way for long. I have been playing the didgeridoo for about 8 years now and this is the slowest I have ever seen any of the sites, with the exception of two websites nobody is keeping fresh inventory up on their websites which makes it hard for guys like me to seek out those from across the pond, which I have wanted to. I personally feel that nice didgeridoos and especially yidakis/magos will always sell, if you don't have them to sell or let people know that you have them then they won't contact you. I'm a shy guy so it takes seeing something I like on a website to get me to call. But I will be the first to say that I understand people not selling traditional sticks as much if not at all because of difficult times financially. Just wish it wasn't the case though. I understand it being difficult to work with the aborigines and nor do I blame them. I have studied a little of the Native American culture here in America and I personally feel that their culture has been prostituted not just in history but in media outlets as well, so looking at the aborigines I would hate to see that happen to them.

After 8 years of playing the didgeridoo I still consider myself a beginner, though I will admit I know what I like and what I don't. In that period of time I found that my taste has changed in what I like. I used to hate higher key didges (sounded like a bee hive to me) and loved C, B, and yes A keys (very earthy, base driven sound), but I found that I'm starting to get into some of the higher keys like E and F, haven't made it up to G yet. I'm a traditional man myself, though I will admit I haven't undertaken the task of learning to play the traditional style, (yet). There is just something captivating about how a traditional stick sounds and feels. I have a couple split didges, and though they sound really good, they have more of a cold feeling to me, but thats just me. This might be stepping over the line for most traditional guys, but I feel like there is something spiritual about the yidaki and mago. Having an instrument that was hollowed out by termites and painted with the totems of an artist's tribe raises the traditional sticks spirituality level. The culture behind such an instrument can't be duplicated no matter what.

Nice didge you have there Foxfish, love Japanese Maples. Think they're absolutely gorgeous tree and felt like they would make a wonderful didgeridoo, would love to hear it if you don't mind playing it for us. I agree that traditional instruments are a little difficult to play at first, but I found that after playing low key yidakis and magos I learned how to control my breath to the point that I can play just about any instrument regardless of key. I will admit playing it well is up for discussion... Lol.

Wow, sorry for the length of my response, got a little carried away this morning.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 05.11.2013, 13:23 

Hi Mike I think most forums, regardless of the subject, have gone quiet in recent years, generally this is put down to Face Book.
The few active people left on this forum seem to be far more interested in Trad styles & instruments though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 05.11.2013, 16:32 

Those of us who are still really interested in the traditional aspects continue to linger, but as the forums are quiet these days there aren't many discussions going on. If you have the time, please go through the many threads on here and you'll see that we've discussed many interesting topics at length over the years.

Facebook and other social networking outlets may well have contributed to the decline in forum activity, but the slow down in sales seems to be directly related to the economy. People just don't have the money to spend on sticks that they once did!

Don't be dismayed at the quieting down of things on here though. If a topic of interest comes up you'll hear from us trad-heads.

Kyle

PostPosted: 07.11.2013, 02:51 

I second that Kyle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 10.11.2013, 15:51 

Mike wrote:
I have been playing the didgeridoo for about 8 years now and this is the slowest I have ever seen any of the sites, with the exception of two websites

Which websites ? Commercial sites or forum like this one ?
I mainly frequent the french forum (http://www.francedidgeridoo.com/forum.html) and if it is pretty quiet these days, hopefully it still keeps some activity going.

foxfish wrote:
The few active people left on this forum seem to be far more interested in Trad styles & instruments though.

It's quite logical, considering that the Serious site is oriented toward the trade of traditional instruments.
Lots of trad-heads were also on the Ididj forum, but it closed down a few months ago... and I have just noticed that we can't consult it anymore. A very sad discovery, it was such a huge source of informations about aboriginal culture and yidaki/mago playing ! :| I hope Guan won't do the same with his Youtube Ididj channel...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 11.11.2013, 23:15 

The playing style trend nowadays is beat box & almost no drone compositions and most of the new players are very much attracted by this funny way which goes closer to contemporary benchmarks. Regarding instruments the trend is DYO or purchase to local crafter.It is so developed that some crafters are posting their creations on Djalu's Facebook. This a world inverted.
I don't say it is good or bad.
This where we are and for me it explains somehow low activity on traditional discussions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 17.11.2013, 07:27 

I stumbled into trad scene just as things were fading away, so it's been a big disappointment in that regard... makes it difficult to find good sticks. But I am still practicing and slowly plugging along.

My favorite yidaki makers are Djalu and Manany. I can't chose just one.

I really like the larger yidaki - 150, 160, 170 cm - and these are being made predominantly by Djalu (and Larry).

I haven't seen a lot of yidaki by Manany - I only have a few of her sticks - but all of the ones I have played were deliciously resonant, with rich harmonics.

Profile E-mail