THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 17.11.2018, 16:58

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Newbie from France
PostPosted: 04.04.2013, 21:31 

Hello folks !

My name is Utnapishtim and I guess I should confess I am some kind of "didgeridoolcoholic" : I dream of didgeridoo at night, I eat didgeridoo for breakfast and I have a little drone buzzing inside my head all day long.

I've been interested in the aboriginal aspects of the didgeridoo ever since I began to play the instrument one year and a half ago. Having wondered too many times « how did these guys do that ? » after seeing Youtube videos of Yolngu people, I finally took my courage in my hands, bought the Milkay Mununggurr CD and studied it seriously...
It's been a few months and I only play (or at least, try to play) traditional style lately.

I am also quite active on the French forum, but this place seems to gather a bigger proportion of trad'heads and aboriginal culture connoisseurs. :P

Oh, and please forgive me for my bad english. I didn't have the chance to practice it for a while so it may be a little rusty.

Last edited by Utnapishtim on 04.04.2013, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hi there !
PostPosted: 04.04.2013, 21:43 

Welcome, your English is very good, sounds as if you will do well playing, practise practise is the only answer. Good luck

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Newbie from France
PostPosted: 05.04.2013, 08:39 

Welcome from another new member!
I agree with Geff, practice practice practice..

I can also recommend the cd from Jeremy Cloake - Balanda Yidaki Dhukarr.
For me is it better to understand, I don't have a "Hard Tongue " yet :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 05.04.2013, 17:54 

Welcome :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 05.04.2013, 21:31 

Thanks ! :D

Yes, practice is the key ! I've noticed that didgeridoo is like a kind of physical training : if you really want to improve your skills, it's better to practice a little every day rather than tp do a big long session once a week.

I already got Yidaki Balanda Dhukar but I don't use it much for now : I prefer to rely on a primary source of information - an aboriginal player - to begin with, as Jeremy's playing is not completely similar to (though inspired a lot by) the traditional style... But I've almost finished Hard Tongue Didgeridoo, I will probably try to see what Cloak's intructional CD has got in the guts. :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 12.04.2013, 12:30 

Bienvenue Utnapishtim !
You're right, Milkay's tuition CD flies way above Jeremy's one !
Darryl Dikarrna Brown (David Blanasi's grandson and Mago player from WhiteCockatooPerformingGroup) also made a good tuition CD for Western ArnhemLad style... DiTaMor Debor...
Guan's iDidj YouTube channel is also a gold mine for grasping all the different styles and accents.

PostPosted: 12.04.2013, 22:52 

I also got Darryl Dikarrna's CD but I still need a mago to practice it... Hopefully not for long. :wink:

Profile E-mail