THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 17.11.2018, 16:56

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: 30.03.2013, 22:23 

Hi, I have had a good look around the forum & it is a very good source of informasion.

There seems to have been some interesting regular posters around at one time!

It is a shame the way forum community's have evolved to leave so many quiet spaces on the internet but, you never know how the future will pan out......

Well done to the hard core posters...

Fox.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hi
PostPosted: 30.03.2013, 23:02 

Welcome!
I am also new here and yes, lots of info here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 31.03.2013, 08:39 

Hi, yeah looks like we were a couple of years late but we can talk to each other anyway LOL.
So how many didges do you own, do you build your own, do you have a favourite key to play in?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04.04.2013, 18:11 

Welcome.

I picked up the didge over a year ago, so I am still pretty new. With the resources on this site I was able to learn basic techniques, and my love for the didge grew.

I started making didges out of yucca and agave and find playing and making didges therapeutic.

What's your story? Do you play contemporary or traditional? I am waiting on a cd so I can learn and understand more about traditional technique.

-chas

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04.04.2013, 20:05 

Hi chas, I am not exactly new to didges but I have just rekindled an old fire!

I have not played for many years, however my sister bought me a didge for christmas & I have since rebuilt my collection.

I have been building spearguns for many years & I had built up a good reputation for my usual designs but it has become very difficult to export the spearguns from my island home of Guernsey so.... I thought I might build a few didgeridoos instead.

I have built 9 since christmas....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 05.04.2013, 01:39 

I used to do a good bit of spear fishing myself (in San Diego), until I had hip surgery last year. But without the surgery I would have never found the didge :D.

You will appreciate this: I am currently in Kona Hawaii, and had the chance to free dive and swim with a pod of dolphins for a few hours the other day, amazing! I actually got a good bit of video.

I wish I had a didge with me.

Does anyone know travel restrictions? Could I carry on a small didge? Or can someone tell me how to build a didge-box?

Mahalo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 05.04.2013, 09:35 

There should be some agave cacti growing on the north west of the island (north of Kona) where it's kind of desert-like. You can easily make a didj out of the dead flowering stalks by splitting the length (a sharp kitchen knife will do the trick!), hollowing out the cavity and glueing it back together. It'll then need sealing on the inside - most guys use epoxy. Easy and fun! Here's a pic of one I made in Spain a few years back.

Kyle

Attachments:
AgaveStick.jpg
AgaveStick.jpg [ 84.21 KiB | Viewed 1717 times ]

PostPosted: 05.04.2013, 17:52 

Hey Kyle,

Thanks! Being from San Diego I already use agave and yucca to build didges :D
Although as I drive around the island I keep pointing out agave stalks to my wife.

What do you use to seal the inside of your agave? I use epoxy. Also did you split your didge?

Mahalo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 07.04.2013, 16:41 

I actually ended up oiling that one as I didn't have any epoxy at the time of construction. I burnt the distal end of the bore with a blowtorch to get rid of the softer pith that remained after hollowing, hence the black colouration.

Are you living on the Big Island now or just visiting? I've only spent time on Maui but would love to get back and explore the other islands one day.

Kyle

PostPosted: 07.04.2013, 18:27 

Just visiting for a week. We head back to San Diego today.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 08.04.2013, 09:18 

Sorry - forgot to respond to your split question. Yes, I split that one with a sharp kitchen knife and the join is almost invisible.

Trust you enjoyed your Hawaiian break!

Kyle

PostPosted: 01.07.2014, 16:16 

lets bring this forum back to life,,,, there has to be some folks who are interested . I m sure it could be done,,,, if the old guys,, figuratively speaking are tired of it,,,,, some of who are new to didge can get it going.

I know a lot of info is here,,, but bouncing off each other what you are currently doing ,, helps fan the flame of inspiration :rr: :mrgreen: :wink:

Profile E-mail