THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 17.11.2018, 16:59

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: New dude saying hello
PostPosted: 01.06.2012, 23:37 

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd introduce myself before I look at what's going on.
I'm from the UK near a little town called Hitchin. I've been playing on and off for 10-12 years on my late 90's Badikupa Gurruwiwi y*daki. Recently I've been making a fair amount of big sound hardwood split didge's which have stirred up my love for playing again, fingers crossed it'll stick with it this time so I can get back to my former glory.
I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of sticks you guys are playing, I think my heart lies with Mandapul and Mago but I have a huge love for people who endeavour and make their own split didge's, I find the experience so rewarding. In particular I really like Justin Timson's (Sacred Elder) didge's, I have one from the mid 90's and would be very interested in purchasing any of his that come up for sale.
I'm thinking of making some multi-material didge's soon too out of hardwood offcuts and perhaps something with sheet copper. I get a kick out of making sentimental objects out of throwaway timber. I'd like to attempt to make a Carnyx in the future if my metal skills develop enough.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New dude saying hello
PostPosted: 02.06.2012, 09:07 

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum. I don't recall if we've met, but it sounds like you were around the British Didgeridoo scene back in the late 90's so we may well have.

You're in the right place if you're into the traditional sticks. It's pretty quiet on here these days but the odd discussion does ensue on occasion. I've not seen Justin in years and he now resides in his native land of Australia. I've seen a few of his sticks kicking around in recent years and will let you know if I come across any. I look forward to seeing examples of your work in due course.

All the best,

Kyle

Post subject: Re: New dude saying hello
PostPosted: 03.06.2012, 11:12 

Hi Kyle mate,

Thanks for the reply. It'd be great to see if any of Justin's old sticks crop up.. I've got to be honest, I wonder where they all are nowadays as he made so many and there's barely any mention of him online (I think he'd like that).
We may well of bumped into each other mate, I first started playing about 99-00 think, i was living in Bournemouth at the time and was loosely shown the way by my old smoking mate Mark Bailey. The was another local family bloke, Tim Garlinge and he started up a didge monthly in a church hall in Bournemouth.

What sort of stuff you into then? I'm guessing you've got a few nice sticks kicking about

Profile E-mail