THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 17.11.2018, 16:58

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Loud Didje Player Required!
PostPosted: 18.03.2012, 17:32 

Hi everyone, I am looking for a LOUD didje player who likes to travel, to help me out with an archeology project! Last year I went to Russia to experiment on the megalithic dolmen there. After reading a book by Chris Dunn, about how the ancients may have produced electricity through sound (piezoelectric theory) I did some experiments on dolmen and lo and behold, I managed to get some volts out of them. Only trouble was, the source of sound was only one voice (not very loud) and I have concluded that something like a didje or an alpen horn may have been used. If you don't know what a dolmen is, I am talking about one of these:

Almost all of the Russian ones have a hole in the front, which I am calling the "sound hole" and this is where the instrument would have been inserted. How phallic. :lol:

Anyhow. I don't play didje, I play voltmeter. :wink: So help is needed! There is loads more info on my web site about the general theory and how didje is involved. Have a look on:
http://www.charliefoulkes.co.uk/theory.html

That is not me in the photo btw, that is a vedic chanter called Vita! You can see a video of how the dolmen responds to her chanting on my web site. The voltmeter even changes according to the pitch of the chanting, which is fascinating. As always happens, the best readings we had were when the camera was off. Sadly that is a consquence of trying to do too much myself and having no help!!! We don't have to go to Russia to do more experiments, but likely it would be best to find a complete dolmen which has all walls and a sound hole. Most of the ones in the UK no longer have the dry-stone between the megaliths (large stones) and so the sound is not enclosed. Some were burried beneath a mound and there are chambers in the UK like this, but the dolmen are the simplest to get results from!

You can email me on charliefoulkes@googlemail.com

Some technical stuff:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Loud Didje Player Required!
PostPosted: 19.03.2012, 10:05 

Interesting theory!

Where in the UK are you and where would you anticipate undertaking these experiments? There are many didgeridoo players in the country and many on the continent as well. Also, you mention that varying the pitch can vary the metered output - as didgeridoos vary in pitch you might want to ensure that a variety of them are used in your experiments to account for this.

Kyle

PostPosted: 19.03.2012, 18:01 

Hi Kyle

Thanks for the info about pitch, much the same as tin whistles I assume a small didje will make a higher pitched noise that a big one?

I am working on the assumption that there is also an ideal pitch for each dolmen, as well. But how to find out.... either trial and error (the long way) or computer simulation (also a long way as expensive and complicated).

I am in London, UK, but I will travel anywhere. The next places I was thinking of visiting are Malta, Bulgaria and Tunisia. I would also like to visit the UK ones which are South / South-West, but I do not anticipate good results with those since they are not enclosed. There are chambers in Anglesey (North Wales) which look promising, but it is true Dolmen that I have had the best luck with so far.

Thanks again for your interest. Oh and yes, I will pay travel if someone wishes to come for an adventure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 19.03.2012, 18:09 

Oh, and this seems loud enough. Ondrej Smeykal rocks, though not awfully traditional!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGTWqZoswAo&feature=related

Profile E-mail