THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 17.11.2018, 17:01

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: New guy
PostPosted: 23.02.2012, 22:41 

Hello from Texas!

Hopefully this is the right section for an intro post.

I'm a Texas resident, early 50's, Working as a Substitute teacher. I've been playing a homemade didj-bone (or that's what I call it, at least) off and on for three or four years. It's what I would suppose is pretty nontraditional; no heated bends or dents, just straight pvc with plumber's epoxy add-ons for places to attach a carrying strap, and minor decoration/drawtube stop/mouthpiece. I didn't use rubber or wax for health reasons (I catch things easily). I'll put a pic in the relevant thread when I can find my camera.

I still don't have the circular breathing thing down yet (excuses, excuses), but I'm working on it. I nearly got it this AM after having a squirt of nose spray- yeah, kind of pathetic, but that's how it is. :wink:

I've been playing neo-Irish flute and fife for just over ten years. Maybe the constant-airflow norm of those instruments is what keeps holding me back. Maybe now that I've found this place I'll be able to make some progress.

Thanks for being here!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New guy
PostPosted: 24.02.2012, 09:46 

Welcome to the forum Tex.

Circular breathing is a mental thing and is essentially a little trick you need to train yourself to do. The best advice I can give is to keep at it, don't think about it too much and try and find an experienced player who can point you in the right direction. I know of a fair few players in Austin, but of course that might be across the state from where you're located.

Keep us posted and enjoy the journey!

Kyle

Post subject: Re: New guy
PostPosted: 01.03.2012, 09:04 

hi tex
welcome to the forum.
the circular breathing took me only 2 weeks of practice ,this week now can breath in and out at the same time while squeezing out .
you tube has been a good source of info , check out david hudson . shows a few ways that made it simple for me .i found it frustrating at first and practiced for at least a hour a day . normally in the car going to work as they think i have gone crazy . now i have a few simple tunes and barks sorted . i am enjoying it and gets me off the computer. stuck at the moment as i just got a cold ,spanner in the works for a week ,the breathing is very hard now with the didge. :shock: .
racketman.

Profile E-mail