THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 17.11.2018, 16:59

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Why is it so hard to get a Yidaki in Australia??
PostPosted: 19.10.2011, 06:16 

Hi, I'm from Sydney, and an looking for an affordable Yidaki. Every Yidaki site (and I've seen a couple of them) in Australia are out of date and say things like "New range for 2009" lol....... It's easy to find "didgeridoo" sites that are up to date and clearly display all stock, and have sound samples, but as far as getting an adequate range of traditional Yidakis go, you need to look overseas. Is that craziness!! Maybe I should just buy a half decent Didgeridoo and make do with that.

Which bring me to this......
http://www.didgeridoobreath.com/Yaromir ... 5-1166.htm

A traditional Yidaki for under $500.

Does anyone know if this instrument is decent enough to learn NEAL?

I would love to spend the $800 to $1000 it would cost to get a serious stick, but it's just no practical right now.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard to get a Yidaki in Australia??
PostPosted: 19.10.2011, 12:23 

I know Australia is a vast continent but have you considered a road trip? My be a great way to see some of the country and go to the source where you can meet the people and meet potential yidaki to bring home. If it is too far to drive maybe you know someone who lives closer or will have a vacation and can get one for you....

I looked quickly at the instrument in your post. As with all purchases I would be cautious. What concerned me when I read the description is that the first statement is a disclaimer saying they do not offer returns/refunds and that because the yidaki was not long ago a living tree it may crack. Certainly that is a risk with all wooden instruments but the feel of their advertisement implies that there has been more than a few issues.

PostPosted: 19.10.2011, 13:57 

Yeah, they have that disclaimer only on their range of Yidakis. All their Didgeridoos have a warranty. I guess they feel their Didgeridoos are tough, but their Yidakis are fragile. They do stock popular, well known Yidaki brands too.
I just need something affordable that I can practice traditional styles on. I was even considering a simple plastic Didge like this one......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyd818Zf ... r_embedded
I have enough trouble affording a decent Yidaki, let alone going on a road trip to find one. Maybe you are right, I probably do need to go on a road trip and visit Guan in Vic, or go to the NT. But that may have to be a couple of years away. Oh well. At least I'll be a decent player by then.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 19.10.2011, 16:53 

I wouldn't worry too much about the disclaimer. Yidakis sometimes crack, as do other didgeridoo as well.
From what I know, I think the Didgeridoobreath store is a serious one, maybe just call the guys and talk to them, they may have some instruments on stock, which are not on the website. At least they can give you some recommendations what would be right for your preferences. But as written in my earlier post, I would not mail order it if you can avoid it. You should play it before you buy.

However, I remember that there was a Didgeridoo store in the inner city in Sydney, which also had some decent Yidakis. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly where it was. Even the shop in the rocks may have some Yidakis as well but they may add the "tourist surcharge".
I was also once in a Didgeridoo shop in Manly, somewhere at the end of the pedestrian zone (at the side of the harbor). At the front they had a lot of cheap tourist didgeridoos but in the back where their stock and workshop is, I have seen and played some good Yidakis. As it is only a short trip with the ferry from Sydney it may be worth to have a look there. At least they may give you a recommendation about where to find what you are looking for in the area.

You could combine that with a visit to the Ribs & Rumps Steakhouse, which is my absolute world-favorite restaurant! :D
I looooooove the giant steaks they serve!

Keep us updated about your Yidaki quest...
Good luck for you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 31.12.2011, 18:58 

ACJ wrote:
Hi, I'm from Sydney, and an looking for an affordable Yidaki.

Find the guys at Ulladulla in Sydney harbour. Ask if they know where Melina Shirvanian is.She used to run a shop in the rocks...

PostPosted: 05.01.2012, 10:21 

Hi There mate.
i live in sydney and can definitly help you out on that front. The best didj shop in sydney is called spirit gallery. it is located in 'the rocks centre'. It has just launched its website at spiritgallery.com.au.They are the retail outlet for ididj australia and have a good range of traditional instruments. I also have a few sticks myself that may be of interest to you. if your keen just drop me an email at karlwhiteford@bigpond.com and we can have a chat.
cheers
karl

Profile E-mail