THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 17.11.2018, 17:00

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Y#d#k#wuy Dhawu Miwatjngurunydja
PostPosted: 13.09.2011, 13:43 

The site does not appear to be up anymore.. does anyone know why??
Maybe because of a change of name to mandapul...
Or maybe it has been shifted to a different server?
thanks,
Martin

Post subject: Re: Y#d#k#wuy Dhawu Miwatjngurunydja
PostPosted: 13.09.2011, 14:00 

Hopefully Randy can offer an explanation (if he still checks in here).

Hope it gets back up as it's a good resource.

Kyle

PostPosted: 16.09.2011, 19:48 

Hi guys from Kisumu, Western Kenya!

I noticed it too two weeks ago or so when we wanted to work on the German version of the site and I immediately contacted Randin.

The Buku Larrngay Mulkay website has moved to a new hoster and Rob (who runs the mulimedia archive in Yirrkala now) said he would transfer the "Dhawu" pages to the new server and redirect the old addresses once the pages are on the new server again. This seems to take a while though and in the meantime, Randin has backed up all the language version of the "Dhawu" site from the old server. I will send updates on this as soon as I get them

Christian

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 17.09.2011, 16:26 

You can use the Internet Wayback Machine. It archives previous versions of websites. Pretty helpful when something goes down. http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

Direct link to Y#d#k#wuy Dhawu Miwatjngurunydja:
http://web.archive.org/web/201008020557 ... index.html

Allan

PostPosted: 19.09.2011, 06:18 

Yeah, I do check in once in a while. :) Thanks so much for noticing, Martin (and Christian before). It means a lot to me, as I'm sure it does to all the teams of translators who donated their time! Also lost were the translations of the Hard Tongue Didgeridoo liner notes and all the sold yidaki pages which Jeremy promised to everyone a decade ago would be a permanent archive. I know he wants this back up as well.

I'm not sure why this hasn't been fixed yet but I can say I'm the only guy in the world other than Rob who knows how busy and overwhelming it is to be the coordinator of the Mulka Project. I dropped him a line yesterday asking if he'd send me login info as I'd be more than happy to fix it, myself. The fact is that it's still up on the old server but they've changed the domain name forwarding even though none of the old links will work except www.yirrkala.com itself. All we need do is put a redirect on the index there and change the dns forwarding back. I just need the login and the go ahead from the current powers that be. All I can say is I hope it's back soon, but I've got no control from where I'm at.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 20.09.2011, 15:31 

The site appears to be back up. Good work Randy (or whoever else restored it)!

Kyle

PostPosted: 20.09.2011, 16:41 

I don't know if it was due to my pestering or if it was the plan all along, but the dns forwarding was reset so the old server is back online and as I hoped, they've got a new index in place at yirrkala.com but the old yidaki pages are still up. My ftp login and those of the Dhawu translators are still good.

I don't know yet if a redesign of the yidaki pages was in the plan for the new website, but Jeremy and I have talked about maintaining those pages together. They haven't been updated since early 2007 when I left full time yidaki biz and started running the Mulka Project! If nothing else, they need to reflect the current state of the business, but at some point when I've got some free time, I'd love to update the Dhawu to a more modern web standard. For one thing, I've got all the video clips archived at twice the resolution that went on the web. I could re-encode them h264 and get them streaming in much better quality than they are now. And I imagine if I asked that I would get the go ahead to restore the original Milkay content now.

I don't think the change of the word yidaki will matter, as, while the Dhawu site is a big deal to outside yidaki fans, it's a bit of a bore to Yolngu. :) And the taboo on the word is mainly to keep it from being spoken aloud in the community.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02.01.2012, 17:22 

Milawuy wrote:
Yeah, I do check in once in a while. :) Thanks so much for noticing, Martin (and Christian before). It means a lot to me, as I'm sure it does to all the teams of translators who donated their time! Also lost were the translations of the Hard Tongue Didgeridoo liner notes and all the sold yidaki pages which Jeremy promised to everyone a decade ago would be a permanent archive. I know he wants this back up as well.

Randy,

The site is amazing, I am sure other forum members will agree with me. I am very fond of it. It reminds me of a happier time :-) I hope you and J manage to back your stuff up. It would be a huge loss to balanda yidaki players everywhere (not to mention Yolngu themselves) if it disappeared.

Maybe Michael Christie could host it at the CDU?

Manymak!

dan