THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 10.12.2018, 01:41

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: didgeridoo art paint mediums
PostPosted: 29.06.2015, 22:42 

Have a teak and gourd didgeridoo project, need help choosing paint mediums. I will order red leather dye for the gourd bell end but conflicted on what medium to use over teak with a resin coat finish. Why can't I use enamel paints? I have heard that acrylics are the norm, aren't they the tube paints that canvas painters use. How about sharpie markers will they bleed if resin is used for final finish?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: didgeridoo art paint mediums
PostPosted: 03.07.2015, 20:07 

Hi Joe, what sort of design do you have in mind?
I use paint pens on mine but I don't do much traditional stuff.
I usually do one base coat of resin or two pack varnish then paint on the design before adding 3 coats of two pack over the design.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 05.07.2015, 21:37 

Foxfish, I didn't think of paint pens, sounds good for line drawings and signatures. I thought of painting bands of black with white trim where gourd mates and below mouthpiece. Might use paint pen for drawings of spiders and skeletons if I'm especially creative. Don't know what two pack varnish is. I was going to use sanding sealer or spray polyurethane to seal before painting.

Last edited by didjeridoo joe on 08.07.2015, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 06.07.2015, 07:55 

Two pack varnish is an incredible product, polyurethane based, it is used in conjunction with a catalyst that will set it extremely hard, perfectly clear & shinier than a shiny thing!! It can be buffed to form a glasslike finish or finely abraded to give a matt finish.
Available from many outlets but mainly sold as a marine product for use as a UV protection for exterior varnishing on boats.
Paint pens can be found in craft shops and now come in many different styles & colours... thick tips for filling large areas or fine tips for interrogate work. All colours are available even pastels & metallic but I find many of the pens to be temperamental with some blocking up or blobbing your work! So you need to test the pen in the shop before buying.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 06.07.2015, 16:57 

Wow that looks incredible, certainly something to be proud of. Thanks for the tips.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 06.10.2015, 10:31 

Have you thought of wood burning. This is what I would love to do on gourds. It looks pretty easy as well to get a good artwork on there easily. I'm trying to grow some snake ones this summer. The alcohol inks are amazing too and work so well. You really just wipe them on. They look great under an epoxy coat.

Foxfish, you have some really amazing didges!

Profile E-mail