THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 10.12.2018, 01:35

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: bell end effect on key
PostPosted: 25.07.2014, 15:06 

http://www.didgeridoo-physik.de/E/BAU/D ... anner2.jpg

Ok the above link may or may not work.
But heres my question. Ive completed my second split wood {pine} didge. I made the first with too large a bore, all the way thru, so using Mr Franks , from Germany test a doo drawings, I made another one.
Since I couldn't see the actual dimensions he used ,, I made the bore quite small 1 " maybe less a long way down ,, then opened it up after halfway point,,, and only belled the last 4-5 inches. The stick is 57 long. And came out in D, why I don't know.

My bamboo D is 47 long ,, my first pine didge is about 48 and they are in D.

Does the effectual length of the bore end at the start of the bell? I see these sticks that are 55 long but in F. I don't get it. Unless the narrow section of the bore is the actual key determiner, and the bell the amplifier / sound enricher.

How in the heck do these guys make a long didge , {ive seen some up to 72 " and it still be in a higher key , like F??? ANY help or thought would be greatly appreciated. The didge playing is coming along,,, and I am REALLY enjoying building them. I just wish I had some more theory.
thank you all
Steve

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: bell end effect on key
PostPosted: 26.07.2014, 20:17 

The thickness & type of wood makes a big difference.
Some wood are tone woods and some just don't resonate, the side wall thickness & possible the interior texture could have an effect.
I would strongly suggest you make up lots of PVC prototypes if you want to attempt a specific key..
In fact because PVC pipe is so readily available & relatively cheap, you can have days of fun experimenting with plastic pipe:)

Profile E-mail