THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 10.12.2018, 01:40

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: true original bore sizes
PostPosted: 26.06.2014, 15:05 

I know there is probably not a exact science,,, and Im not really looking for one. But after making my first split didge, I realized I made the bore too large.

I was following the thinking I use on the Native American flutes I use, but that turns out totally different.

would 1 1/4 at mouthpiece , and maybe 2 at the foot be anywhere near for a 50 inch stick??

ANY help here would be greatly appreciated. Ive got the fever.
Steve

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: true original bore sizes
PostPosted: 26.06.2014, 16:17 

Modern sticks (both traditional and Western made) tend to have smaller mouthpieces (say 2.5 - 3cm in diameter) increasing over the length of the instrument to a distal end of anything from 4 or 5cm up to 15cm or more. It really depends how you want your stick to play and look so experiment with it and see what you come up with.

Kyle

PostPosted: 29.06.2014, 13:42 

When you start off playing the mouth piece size can make a huge difference but as you get more experience you will be able to adjust to different size mouthpieces.
I prefer 28 - 30mm sizes on mine and a 28 x 32mm more oval shape on longer multi drone instruments.
The top few feet of the didge can also make a big difference to the back pressure but again as you develop your technique it is not so difficult to play big bore didges!
Big bores can sound great but if you are not so experienced it might be better to keep the top third as a taper from 30 - 50mm after that the bore can open up & still be easy to play.
Those figures are just guide lines though...
My favourite player at the moment has a 28 x 35 mouthpiece but only a 20mm throat that gradually opens up to about 50mm at one third of its length & ends with a 200mm bell, it is 1.9m long.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 30.06.2014, 15:07 

Foxfish,,,, thank you very much!

I will use this info on the next didge, which will be soon. I finished the pine one ,, not too happy with it,,, but may be able to make it better with some work,

I was sealing it with thinned shellac last nite,,,, and realized when putting liquid in the bore ,,, it was coming out of some knot holes that I thought were solid, nope. Ill seal them , and make a mouthpiece for it,,, I made the original too large.

fun to learn,,, and I appreciate you sharing your knowledge
Steve

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 30.06.2014, 20:53 

No worries bro, you might find this vid interesting, I have one of it being played somewhere....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nKyJZ0l0u4

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 30.06.2014, 21:01 

Oh yeah I built this one that has a huge open bore & is the most difficult one to play that I own!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNn6-JioHs4

Profile E-mail