THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 10.12.2018, 01:40

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Cut & shut
PostPosted: 02.05.2013, 07:00 

Here are a couple of poor playing eucalyptus didges that I have re built, both were drilled out with the only sign of termites being on the outside!
http://s654.photobucket.com/user/foxfis ... 7574630743

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cut & shut
PostPosted: 02.05.2013, 14:30 

These look awesome! :D

Can you walk me through some of your steps, as I am always trying to improve my own building techniques.

What is the black filler/interior coating, how did you get the black bands on the bell? For the didge that you coated the inside (with the black stuff) while split, did you recoat the inside after put back together, lastly! What did you coat the outside with? And inside if any.

Sorry to have so many questions, your didges look nice, and I am new at building didges and trying to learn and master new building techniques.

-Chas

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02.05.2013, 16:25 

Sure, Fist off I find a poor quality didgeridoo, (lots for sale on EBay) most commercial touristy ones will have been drilled out with a 25mm bit so it is then fairly easy to cut down the length with a hand held jigsaw!
You need to cut down the jigsaw blade so it just cuts no more than half way through the didge, I use a wavy style of cut to make an interesting finished design but before I cut one in half I study the outside shape to see if I can make it better.
Once the outside is reshaped I will cut it in half or cut it into two or three pieces & cut the centre piece in half longways.
I then hollow out the inside with an abortech to leave a good textured finish.
If I have cut off the bell & mouthpiece then I will clean these out with a chisels & sanding flap wheels in an electric drill.
All the components are then burnt with a blowtorch & sealed with two coats od epoxy resin with added pigment. Sometimes I use bright colours or mixed colours for the bell & main body.
Next I pay attention to the split edges & round them off so the spit will become a feature when it is filled.
Every thing is careful re assembled use an epoxy, powder & pigment mix to clue it all together. I usually make a wooden mouthpiece with a 28mm hole to start with & quite often make a bigger bell piece if necessary.
Then it is all about sanding to very fine finish & coating with epoxy varnish, I test the didge to see if the mouth piece need opening up & that is it really.
I like the completely sealed finish as they are really great fun to play in the shower :)
Please ask for specific details... I have no secrets...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04.05.2013, 08:11 

Here is another one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT3LrPR3fEw

Profile E-mail