THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 10.12.2018, 01:40

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Mouth piece size and shape
PostPosted: 15.05.2012, 05:11 

Hey Everyone,

I have some questions about mouthpiece size and shape. I have made many didgeridoos as I have been off work recovering from a surgery. i have made around 10 out of Yucca and Agave, pretty happy with most, and they all have a different personality. I am using Milliput for the mouthpieces.

Questions: 1. Do your mouthpieces change diameter depending on the key of the instrument (ie: wider or narrower for certain key)?

2. Are the top of your mouthpieces flat or rounded or sharp, and is the edge sharp or rounded? What are the advantages to the different shapes.

3. Should the mouthpiece be tapered, like a funnel (wider at the top and narrowing, narrower at the top and widening or flaring at the bottom, or just a straight wall).

Any advice on mouthpieces is helpful.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Mouth piece size and shape
PostPosted: 15.05.2012, 10:35 

A lot of it comes down to how you play and what you prefer. I would say that I prefer a bigger mouthpiece for lower pitched sticks as you've surmised with smaller ones for the faster higher pitched ones.

Some mouthpieces I enjoy are thin and sharp, straight down into the neck of the instrument whereas others are flared or tapered and narrow as they enter the instrument. For me, it all comes down to comfort and playability.

Kyle

Post subject: Re: Mouth piece size and shape
PostPosted: 18.05.2012, 01:32 

Thanks Kyle! :D

Profile E-mail