THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 10.12.2018, 01:40

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Applying Epoxy Advice
PostPosted: 14.04.2012, 01:12 

I know epoxy is debatable, but being that I am crafting my didge's out of Agave and Yucca I don't have much of a choice to harden the inside and out of the thin walled stalks.

How do you consistently coat the inside of the didge? The method I used was to pour the epoxy in one end, while holding the didge at 45deg and slowly rotating the didge. I keep rotating until some epoxy starts to come out of the bottom and is caught in a cup. I then use the epoxy in the cup and pour it back into the didge, and repeat the process for about 15min. At the end I tip the didge perpendicular to the ground until epoxy begins to exit the didge, once epoxy is dripping out I turn that end towards the sky and position the didge to dry. This is done in hopes that the the epoxy has began to cure and as the epoxy runs down the didge it will adhere to the walls of the didge.

Any info on this topic would be great.

Thanks,
-Chas

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Applying Epoxy Advice
PostPosted: 23.04.2012, 07:29 

Hi Chas

when I made my hardwood didjs (ages ago) and coated them with epoxy, I did 2 coats. First run was by closing the mouthpiece with masking tape and then pour some epoxy down the bell end, then slowly tilting back and forth and turning the didj while covering the bell end with a gloved hand so that the epoxy can't run out. After pouring out the excess epoxy, I hang the didj up with a string to dry, so that the remaining excess epoxy could run out at the mouthpiece end into a container. Once dry, I sanded off the hardened drops that built at the mouthpiece during the process and did the whole process again, but this time haging it up the other way round so that it could drip out at the bell end (again sanding off everything that didn't belong there once dry

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Applying Epoxy Advice
PostPosted: 23.04.2012, 21:43 

seriouschris wrote:
Hi Chas

when I made my hardwood didjs (ages ago) and coated them with epoxy, I did 2 coats. First run was by closing the mouthpiece with masking tape and then pour some epoxy down the bell end, then slowly tilting back and forth and turning the didj while covering the bell end with a gloved hand so that the epoxy can't run out. After pouring out the excess epoxy, I hang the didj up with a string to dry, so that the remaining excess epoxy could run out at the mouthpiece end into a container. Once dry, I sanded off the hardened drops that built at the mouthpiece during the process and did the whole process again, but this time haging it up the other way round so that it could drip out at the bell end (again sanding off everything that didn't belong there once dry

Thanks for the tips!

Profile E-mail