THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 10.12.2018, 01:40

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: laminated sticks
PostPosted: 13.04.2012, 00:12 

Hi this is my second post on here for a number of years so a up to those who are un aware and for those that are be affraid be very affraid (only joking)

what it is, is im currently making a new didge based around what I know about multi drone/toot sticks but I want to have a go at some serious wood working teckniques ie making a good looking finised product that stays together and not falls apart.

at the moment as a laminate one with the main body made out of a stringy bark blank and the bell will be ash/beech cant figure out what it is think its ash green smooth bark. And the top end is gonna be I think ronnin all interspersed with elm and posibly oak in a thin layer plank thicknes about 2/3 cm thick. Im undecided on the oak yet and not to sure tecknically how to join them together either butt joints, dowel joints or a mixture of the two.

Has anyone done anything like this before and know what would be best for both strength and ease of clamping and putting together as im thinking make up smaler sections and then join those together for example?

cheers

Stockie (possibly)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: laminated sticks
PostPosted: 02.06.2012, 00:03 

Hi, have you tried this yet?

In my opinion it should work. Just take your time ensuring everything runs into eachother smoothly. I'd personally recommend that you use a fresh tub of cascamite/polymite to bond your joints. Drying time of about 24hrs and provided you clamped adequately it'll be solid. I recommend pouring 2 coats of thick flooring style varnish down the neck too for that many joints.
Post some pics when your done, sounds like a cool/slightly wacky project :D

Profile E-mail