THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 10.12.2018, 01:41

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Bamboo Mago~
PostPosted: 15.10.2011, 16:57 

I've got a few pieces of bamboo that I think will make a nice albeit temporary mago. I suspect that in terms of pitch it varies but is there a ball park pitch you would suggest I shoot for? The bamboo is not terribly thick though it is structurally sound. Any advice would be appreciated....

Post subject: Re: Bamboo Mago~
PostPosted: 15.10.2011, 21:31 

Hi hawk,

If I can comment Bamboo is the last wood I would select for this purpose.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 15.10.2011, 23:16 

Hi BABU,

Bamboo is not too bad really especially if that's all one has. I thought about getting pvc but would prefer the more natural stuff. Plus it's just to try and learn WAL style. I would love to get hold af a real mago but for now this will have to do. Have you seen the youtube video of the "Blue Bamboo"? I think either Guan (ididj) or Colin (ididjuk) posted it. It's a very nice sounding stick of course Darryl Brown is palying it :)

What suggestions do you have? I am open~

Thanks

PostPosted: 16.10.2011, 07:26 

Hi,
I do have a home-made mago-like bamboo didj.
It used to be a very long (2m) and wide (~16cmØ) and thick (2 to 3cm walls), but it splat in a huge white flash and tremendous sound 15 years ago.
But it only splat up to half of its length, so I managed to keep the small lower part (~1,10m) and put a huge igloo-shaped beeswax mouthpiece with a very little hole on top of it (due to the shortness and wideness of the instrument, the mouth-piece's hole HAS to be very small otherwise the drone doesn't come out).
So it is kind of a weird-shaped bamboo didj, its thickness makes it sound like a real-wood didj, its width emphasize passive-voice and shrieks a LOT, and the inside bumps due to the past-membranes seem to create nice air turbulences inside that make the characteristic "growling sound".
Perfect for "Ditamoring" :wink:
You can test this kind of configuration if you can put your hands on such a piece of bamboo.
But chose it carefully though, big bamboos tend to split very easily.

PostPosted: 25.10.2011, 10:28 

Bamboo was used historically in the Top End for didgeridoo manufacture. The oldest known specimens are in fact a native bamboo species.

I would make it shorter (between 100 and 120cm in length) and aim for a pitch between F and E to make a nice little bouncy mago-type stick.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Kyle

PostPosted: 26.10.2011, 02:48 

Thanks for the guidence Kyle. A question~in some of the older bammboo sticks that you mentioned were the nodes completely removed? I think leaving some of it in place might make for more structural integrity. Do you know what genus/spieces of bamboo one finds in the northern territory?

Once I get one finished I'll post a picture....

PostPosted: 26.10.2011, 07:35 

> Bambusa arnhemica

PostPosted: 26.10.2011, 09:22 

Fran6co has mentioned the specific species native to Arnhem Land and the surrounding area.

I'm not aware of how much of the internal node was removed, but reckon most of it would have been.

Kyle

PostPosted: 26.10.2011, 10:18 

Guan once posted a pict of the interior of the BlueBamboo and indeed most of the nodes had been removed to my memory.
Thing to know with the nodes : their membrane's centre is very thin, and it gets thicker exponentially towards the circumference.
So you'll easily remove most of it, then you'll have a harder time if you want your air column to be really smooth.
And as you said, Hawk, if you remove too much of the nodal structure, you fragilise the bamboo.
Plus the fact that the remaining "edge of the membrane" also create air turbulences that can add in getting a "growly" sound.