THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 10.12.2018, 01:41

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: didge from appletree and seasoning
PostPosted: 06.03.2011, 00:39 

Hi
I recently started playing didge on a PVC-pipe, but had to own one in wood as well and bought one in teak.
Making a didge by my self is my next step, and I have a nice píece of wood from an appletree. Any of you guys with experience in making one in this type of wood?
Another question is how long time do you usually leave the wood to dry before starting to work on it?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: didge from appletree and seasoning
PostPosted: 06.03.2011, 11:37 

Hey moesby.
No, I don't have any experience with appletrees, but fruit-trees are supposed to be nice because they are dense (and it's hardwood too, so no probleme there).

Most of my knowledge comes from the French didgeridoo community (francedidgeridoo.com) so if you speak French, might as well check it out yourself (they also have a nice tutorial which I can send to you or even translate it if you're really stranded).

Anyway, to avoid all surprises, the drying time should at least be of one year. So you can do it now, but don't be surprised if cracks appear. Christian and John made a great tutorial for dealing with cracks though, so if you're willing to take the risk...
Good luck!
;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 06.03.2011, 17:58 

EratiK wrote:
Hey moesby.
No, I don't have any experience with appletrees, but fruit-trees are supposed to be nice because they are dense (and it's hardwood too, so no probleme there).

Okay, very nice to know, I´ll just give it a go then.

EratiK wrote:
Most of my knowledge comes from the French didgeridoo community (francedidgeridoo.com) so if you speak French, might as well check it out yourself (they also have a nice tutorial which I can send to you or even translate it if you're really stranded).

As I don´t speak any french, what so ever I would be delighted if You would be so kind to translate for me, just take Your time.

EratiK wrote:
Anyway, to avoid all surprises, the drying time should at least be of one year. So you can do it now, but don't be surprised if cracks appear. Christian and John made a great tutorial for dealing with cracks though, so if you're willing to take the risk...
Good luck!
;)

Drying time in this case is not a problem, the tree was cut down last year at approximately this time.
We also cut down a peartree at the same time, and I found a nice stick today that also will be suitable, at least I think so :wink:

I will also have a look at Christian & Johns tutorial, just in case.

Thank You so much for taking time to answer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 16.06.2011, 22:07 

a little update on my project...

The branch from the appletree began to crack badly before I started working on it, so it became firewood instead.

But the branch from the peartree looked well, so I started to work on that instead.
I finished the project about two months ago, and I´m very pleased with the result.

If any of you want to see and read a little more, visit my homepage, it´s in danish but it´s possible to translate at the site.
My blog

P.S. No sample of sound yet...

Profile E-mail