THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 10.12.2018, 01:43

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: cracks??
PostPosted: 21.06.2009, 20:32 

well.... I am new to this forum and also fresh with playing the didg...so first a big hello.

now the question:i got some wood that was already dry and striped off the bark.But after an hour,it started cracking.So....can i patch that cracks(they are not so big)later with some bees wax or something(i will do the "friench bread "method),or should i start looking for a new branch??

Žiga

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: cracks??
PostPosted: 21.06.2009, 23:12 

Žiga,

I built a flute out of bloodwood once, it was beautiful. The first time I played it, it cracked (in fact, it popped so dramatically that it scared the spit out of me). I waited a couple of weeks to insure that it had stopped moving, patched it, resanded it, put on another coat of wax... You know what's coming, right? When I played it again, POP! It cracked once more.

It's never going to get any better, but it could get worse. You don't want to invest all your time and effort into something that will never truly be what you wanted in the first place. Find a better branch.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 22.06.2009, 08:07 

Thenx for the advice.I will try it anyway,if nothing else.....i will get some know how :) .And it also may take some time to find a new branch that is suitable.

i would like to ask others non australians,how do they make ther own didgs.i heard that if you drill a small hole on each side of the branch,that it don´t crack???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 22.06.2009, 12:49 

Hi Žiga and welcome!

Yes, you can patch it, but don't do it with wax! If you fill the crack with wax, you won't be able to repair it properly anymore and wood will keep moving.

If I were you, I'd just continue with the stick like if the crack wasn't there, meaning, shape it roughly to its final form, cut it in half and then hollow it. Then simply fill the crack thowith a 2-component epoxy-based glue like Araldite or such, glue the halves together and clamp everything firmly and well. Then leave it to dry for at least 2 weeks or so with the hose clamps still on, tightening the clamps every day during the process. Then remove the clamps and work the outside to its final finish. If the stick has sufficiently dried out during the two weeks, it should be OK

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 22.06.2009, 13:52 

Thank You for all the advice.

I have another question.If the branch is like this II and not like this /\ ,do you shape it to becom like /\ or do you leave it like it is?(as i have seen,many have shape like it is smaller at the mouth peace and than it goes ever so wide in to a trumpet like end)

i hope you all understand what i mean?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 22.06.2009, 14:14 

You can make the instrument any shape you want. True, many makers make didgeridoos that are tapered with a smaller mouthpiece end and bigger distal end, but you can also make them more straight up and down as you've indicated.

Have a look at Jeff Lohr's site where you can see some of his sticks being crafted.

www.hallowedsounds.com

Good luck.